Core i7-4790K Review: Devil's Canyon Tantalizes Enthusiasts

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

In3rt1a

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013

Yah, they're still going, but you can only get so small

In3rt1a

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013

I'm not arguing against your point that Intel is making moderate increases in performance.

Your statistics only take into account the number of manufacturer built PCs sold. Have you looked into the sale of computer components, like cpus, mobos, etc? I think the number of custom desktop builds has to be factored in when considering the incline/decline of desktops. I've observed the number of people doing custom builds increase quite a bit in recent years.

Idk if there is way to accurately calculate the above and factor that into our stats, but I think the number of custom desktops out there could significantly change that 8% decline figure you linked. If you're willing to do the research to prove me wrong, then by all means. I am interested as to the outcome.

Hey ...
If you guys don't like the way Intel is advancing desktop processors, buy up massive amounts of stock, seek proxies from individual and institutional investors, attend an annual shareholders meeting, and try to pass a resolution demanding Intel invest billions of dollars in performance enhancements for a negative return in a flat/declining market.

Good luck with that :lol:

Doug Lord

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Hmm this or wait for 8 core Haswell E??? I mainly use for gaming which would indicate I should go for GHZ over cores. But Watch Dogs loves 6 cores and with new consoles being so heavily threaded I wonder if this is changing.

Doug Lord

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Base clock jump of 3.5GHZ to 4.0GHZ makes this look like a 15% speed bump. Then you see its just 5% with a sustainable overclock. And that's productivity - not gaming. I guess I'll wait for Haswell-E and Maxwell. That will crush in productivity and I want H.265 decode.

Don't be so hyper about those 8 cores on Haswell - E. If you look, the clock is slower, the power rating is the same as the 6 core version. If you look at the core usage of games, they always max out one, and the rest, if used, are at about 25% usage at most. In other words, for gaming, the 8 core may be slower than the 6 core. The 4790K just may be faster in gaming.

anthony8989

Distinguished
I'm not arguing against your point that Intel is making moderate increases in performance.

Phew, that's a relief. I would have thought you were an idiot if you argued that.

Your statistics only take into account the number of manufacturer built PCs sold.

Yeah, that was silly of me - judging the mass of a market by units sold.

Have you looked into the sale of computer components, like cpus, mobos, etc? I think the number of custom desktop builds has to be factored in when considering the incline/decline of desktops. I've observed the number of people doing custom builds increase quite a bit in recent years.

Idk if there is way to accurately calculate the above and factor that into our stats, but I think the number of custom desktops out there could significantly change that 8% decline figure you linked.

There's no need. Just follow the numbers. Intel serves up millions of CPU's a year to OEM desktop manufacturer's. They fork over a fraction of that to e-tailers and retailers for sale in custom or refreshed builds. Take that formula, apply to each desktop component, rinse and repeat until thoroughly bored.

If you're willing to do the research to prove me wrong, then by all means. I am interested as to the outcome.

I'd prove you wrong - but you haven't proven anything.

In3rt1a

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013

*sigh* Can't two people have a friendly argument on the internet without one of them acting like a close minded child? I'm done here, this isn't an intellectual debate anymore.

anthony8989

Distinguished
*sigh* Can't two people have a friendly argument on the internet without one of them acting like a close minded child? I'm done here, this isn't an intellectual debate anymore.

Oh jeez don't get all butt-hurt from my sarcasm. You practically asked for it when you submitted what was basically here-say to the argument:
I've observed the number of people doing custom builds increase quite a bit in recent years.

C'mon , I've seen a lot of seagulls in the parking lot at work lately - does that mean the seagull population is growing. Of course not.

Come back to the argument , I'll be nicer. :)

szalkerous

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
What I am getting from this article is that, since I have a delid/coolaboratory 4770K, I basically have a 4790K, with the exception of some firmware settings and a few capacitors?

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

Uh no. You also have a revision CPU that has optimized prefetch capabilities as well as a much improved TIM between the CPU and the heat spreader, which accounts for 6C lower temps from idle to full load. Now, is it worth upgrading from a 4770K to a 4790K? NO

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

You are correct. There is no need to upgrade until Skylake is released later next year.

fwupow

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
It's time for a game-changing new technology, because I'm just not seeing any compelling reason to build a new system for a few years now.

Isn't that a good thing as well?

There is game-changing technology happening, but it's primarily in the SOFTWARE area such as DX12 and Mantle. The ability to use more of our existing CPU's processing power is awesome. Personally, I plan to keep my existing i7-3770K and then upgrade only my graphics card in two yours or so to a GTX980 4GB or whatever.

Intel did a great job with the Devil's Canyon Haswell refresh. Should you upgrade to that from a recent Intel CPU? Not likely.

Should you be happy that your recent Intel CPU is good enough probably for a long time? Yes!

guitarzan007

Reputable
Jul 11, 2014
I'm trying to find a good motherboard to go with this processor. I mainly do video editing, animation and music production. I don't do gaming at all.Any recommendations? I'm not planning to overclock at all. Also, if I don't overclock, will I be alright with the included heat sync and fan. Thanks!

NO.
I would recommend using the Noctua NH-U14S instead. It will be cheaper, and quieter both under idle and load. No pump noise or failures to deal with either.

Liquid coolers are only needed when you're pushing the limits of overclocking, and for the i7-4790K I simply recommend the XMP setting of 4.4GHz.

Let's say you push the CPU to 4.8GHz instead of 4.4GHz... to do that you will have disabled the Intel Power Management optimal settings and will push out a LOT more heat. It probably will go up about 20degC or so under load. Thus the fans will be a lot louder.

*That gains you a theoretical 9% increase in performance (4.8/4.4) which is likely 0% for gaming and maybe 4% time savings for converting video since you rarely use all threads fully such as the first pass.

**FYI, I disabled every fan in my dad's PC and the heatsink alone of the Noctua NH-U12S was enough to run the i5-4670K at 4.2GHz and not overheat whilst doing Prime95 stress test. Wow! (No graphics card).

In normal mode ONLY the Noctua fan is running in his system since it turned out he didn't need another fan. In idle the fan is dead silent at 300RPM and it's barely audible under load in a silent room.

farmfowls

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2014

So I shouldn't switch cases?

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

What's wrong with the case? It's made for silent builds, right?

farmfowls

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2014

It is, but now I am worried about cooling.

farmfowls

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2014

And do you mean no to the case or no it won't overheat?

Status
Not open for further replies.