News Core i9-12900K Destroys Ryzen 9 5950X By 38% In Ashes of the Singularity

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I honestly hope Intel comes out swinging that hard, it would be interesting to see an AMD response to a ~20-30% deficit.
Alder Lake will be released/ announced in the next month or 2, so no need to hope. It is what it is by now.
In my opinion, the numbers are looking way too optimistic here. I don't have any facts, but it is no joke to offer a significant double digit % IPC improvement. While the 38% here is no reflective of all workload, it is still a big number.

Alder Lake will be released/ announced in the next month or 2, so no need to hope. It is what it is by now.
In my opinion, the numbers are looking way too optimistic here. I don't have any facts, but it is no joke to offer a significant double digit % IPC improvement. While the 38% here is no reflective of all workload, it is still a big number.
Agreed, its a lot, but here's to hoping for some actual innovation.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
There are now 15 results, covering a wide range from 5100 to 15900. (@1080)

It seems pretty obvious somebody named foxed.in is experimenting with extreme overclocking.
Exotic cooling should be assumed.
Who wastes their time using exotic cooling with the 3rd fastest card from a GPU maker? Anyone with the resources for sub zero cooling is going to be using a 3090.

so intels new gen vs amd's old gen. would be kind of sad if it didnt beat it?

However I doubt tis as simple as it seems. Extremely unlikely such huge improvement over the last (especially on a 1st gen hybrid chip). Something is likely going on unknowingly.

I do hope Intel has a good chip, but if it seems to ogood to be rue...it usually is.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
lol get out of here with your facts better to fan the flames for the fan boys with Destroys in the title
There are no facts in his/her response... sure reads like opinions based off observations to me, but who am I to let your personal fanboyism get in the way of rational thinking. (And 39% is destorying, but pinch of salt cause lack of details, remember thats in the story you obviously read).

How about before we bring up the word fact we wait until its released and independently tested. 39% would be fantastic for the market, AMD has gotten away with a "marketing" uptick in pricing on the CPU line and for good reason. Intel needs a win to push further innovation from AMD or expect that marketing uptick to continue. This generation is starting to feel eerily similar to the netburst vs Athlon leading to core architecture battle of yesteryear.

well its the point why people were pissed on intel for staying 14nm for so long. This could be +-10% back in 2017.
they allowed AMD to bounce back, but this kind of horsepower 3 years back would be incredible.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Who wastes their time using exotic cooling with the 3rd fastest card from a GPU maker? Anyone with the resources for sub zero cooling is going to be using a 3090.
Have you seen HwBot? People are wasting LN2 on 10+ years old CPUs and GPUs all the time. 3080 is a surprise? Buildzoid, an extreme overclocker recently had a stream where he LN2 overclocked his 3060 Ti. People overclock for the fu(..)n of it.
You might as well have asked "Who overclocks anything but the best of the best?". The answer is: EVERY ONE!

Reactions: VforV and Jim90
Sep 2, 2021
I would also take the scores with much grain of salt... There are way too many variables in this game. Let's just wait, how often has Intel or 3rd party testers "rigged" benches, and afterwards the disappointment was huge. Those numbers are just way too good to be true (do you still remember all those distorted avx512 benches and comparisons back then. In the end it was mostly hot air).

And by the way, there is nothing worse for Intel right now than trying to make again high waves but being as flat as the floor. And yes launch date is still far away. In case MS pushes back W11, whysoever, ADL launch will be delayed too. This shows ADL will only be able to play out its benefits on W11 and not W10 (yes we all know that already). Who knows what drivers they also used etc for the reference system. its all very salty salty

Reactions: phenomiix6
Apr 1, 2020
As Fudzilla pointed out AotS can only use 24 threads so the 5950X was handicapped, though we know how widely the benefits of SMT can vary.

Most importantly though if Adder Lake is able to perform effectively equal to Zen 3, AMD's going to have to respond with price cuts or a Zen 3+ Refresh since Zen 4 isn't due out for a year, by which point Intel may finally have it's act together and may finally be able to move off of 10nm which may allow the next generation in 2022-23 to provide a 20%+ performance uplift over Adder Lake.

All this should mean us non professional customers should finally start winning again with a price war, especially if Intel Xe HP performs up to par.

Reactions: MB007

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Have you seen HwBot? People are wasting LN2 on 10+ years old CPUs and GPUs all the time. 3080 is a surprise? Buildzoid, an extreme overclocker recently had a stream where he LN2 overclocked his 3060 Ti. People overclock for the fu(..)n of it.
You might as well have asked "Who overclocks anything but the best of the best?". The answer is: EVERY ONE!
Overclocking and exotic cooling are not the same even if one is a form of the other. With all the complicated boosting algorithms Intel uses now, there is very little performance to be gained from standard overclocking, even with water. So, if these results are from an overclocked CPU, the results aren't going to be that far off from stock performance.

There are other benchmark sightings that show the 12900K even with the 5950X.

Ex. -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAfIdm3MpW8

Everything is just speculation (and probably blue/red fanboy propaganda) until unbiased reviewers get their hands on these chips and we see a dozen or so full performance reviews and comparisions.

But I agree, healthy competition is great news for us, the consumers.

comedichistorian

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
I'm probably embarrassing myself by asking this but if they both have the same number of cores (Intel is using two different kinds, I know) why are their core count numbers different under "configuration" in the benchmark? 32 for AMD, 24 for Intel.

I'm probably embarrassing myself by asking this but if they both have the same number of cores (Intel is using two different kinds, I know) why are their core count numbers different under "configuration" in the benchmark? 32 for AMD, 24 for Intel.
Because only half of the 16 cores on the Intel CPU have hyperthreading whereas all 16 of the AMD cores have simultaneous multithreading.

Reactions: Memnarchon
Okay yeah, I sorta figured that's what it was but why 24 and 32?

AMD = 16 cores with hyperthreading. 16x2=32
Intel = 8 (performance) cores with hyperthreading and 8 (energy-efficient) cores without hyperthreading. 8x2=16. 16+8=24

As far as why Intel only put a certain number of cores into any given CPU, that should be a whole different question and answer thread.

Last edited:

Jim90

Distinguished
"Core i9-12900K Destroys Ryzen 9 5950X By 38% In Ashes of the Singularity"

--> Yet another shill title, Toms - you KNOW this was using 'exotic' cooling!
Intel is paying you well...again...!!! lol

However, we need valid and on going competition, so yes, hopefully Alder Lake is very competitive.

Last edited:

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
so intels new gen vs amd's old gen. would be kind of sad if it didnt beat it?

However I doubt tis as simple as it seems. Extremely unlikely such huge improvement over the last (especially on a 1st gen hybrid chip). Something is likely going on unknowingly.

I do hope Intel has a good chip, but if it seems to ogood to be rue...it usually is.

We heard this same illogical argument when Intel brought out the Core line of CPUs. No, way could a first generation of a laptop chip ported to the desktop possibly be good... Ooops! Back when that came out it was a massive leap. I'm not assuming this time will be the same, but it's just as bad to assume it won't be similar.

Reactions: Memnarchon