deardeath

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Hello,

I game with my notebook which has a 7600gs and has a core 2 duo (Memrom core or however its spelt) at 1.83 ghz. I was playing World of Warcraft the other day for a good 3-4 hours when i noticed the laptop started beeping and everything froze. A few seconds later everything got back to normal. I opened up speed fan and saw that the CPU was at 73'c.

I know notebooks generaly are very limited when it comes to cooling solutions, and I already have one of those pads with a fan under them to help cool it down (barely works, only usefull to lift the laptop higher from desk so it can suck in more air). I have gamed with this notebook quite alot and only realised it has happened recently since summer is starting up and the ambient temperature is higher then usual.

So I was wondering, is their anything I can do to help cool it down? Should I send it in to get if fixed? I am aware high temperatures will cause your CPU to degrade faster over time. will such high temps really cause it to degrade at a noticable rate?

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

-Deardeath

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
73ºc isnt all that hot for a mobile C2D. It isnt cool by any strech of the imagination, but a mobile C2D can go up to 100ºc before shutting down. A cooling pad is your best bet on getting the thing cooled down. I'm thinking of getting one of these myself.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
If the HDD in an iPod can handle the bumps, drops, shaking, and general abuse of a normal day, the HDD in a laptop can handle being at an angle.

heruur

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Mine runs about the same when i play half life 2. I use PCWizard 07 (from the guys who make CPUID) to see how hot the cores get

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Kinda wonder if the video card froze up the game from getting too hot.

Have you been able to take it apart to see how much dust may have got in there?

Can of air could help blow out dust in the HS for the CPU and GPU.

heruur

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Took my apart last night. Every couple of weeks i reapply thermal paste to the GPU (NVIDIA Geforce Go 7400), Northbridge and the CPU (Intel Core 2 Duo) as i am currently upgrading my laptop to the 2-Ghz Merom processor

heruur

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Took my apart last night. Every couple of weeks i reapply thermal paste to the GPU (NVIDIA Geforce Go 7400), Northbridge and the CPU (Intel Core 2 Duo) as i am currently upgrading my laptop to the 2-Ghz Merom processor

Like apt403 said, you can buy a cooling pad.

Alternatively, you can force the Speedstep not to go over a certain clock multiplier by using a program called RMClock. I'm sure you can also find a program to lower the GPU's clockspeed. Both will reduce heat, but it will also reduce performance.