[SOLVED] Corrupt drive, Partition not active in Windows 10 How to fix ? : (

rechethas

Prominent
Apr 21, 2019
Corrupt drive, Partition not active in Windows 10. I've been having problem with my hdd. One of the partition hdisappear sometimes and is not active it doesn't show the size or anything, i'm not able to access the drive also. I've installed Windows 10 on the SSD (128gb). I tried formatting the drive, changing drive letter, splitting the drive which resulted in both the drives getting corrupted. Please help guys

Screenshot of file explorer -- View: https://i.imgur.com/iEVs8U3.jpg
Error shown when i try to open the corrupted drive
View: https://i.imgur.com/KnLl0Np.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/RzMyxNa.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
so you mean the HDD will get corrupted completely ??
Error comes when i install games on that partition, download movies, work on ps etc rest of the partition looks fine no issues so far from those
It has "Relocated sectors" and that means some sectors went bad because of damage to platter(s) and it's high possibility more will appear soon. Firmware tried to relocate data from damaged part to a healthy part but it's not possible to transfer all data, hence the problems and corruption.
Corrupt drive, Partition not active in Windows 10. I've been having problem with my hdd. One of the partition hdisappear sometimes and is not active it doesn't show the size or anything, i'm not able to access the drive also. I've installed Windows 10 on the SSD (128gb). I tried formatting the drive, changing drive letter, splitting the drive which resulted in both the drives getting corrupted. Please help guys

Screenshot of file explorer -- View: https://i.imgur.com/iEVs8U3.jpg
Error shown when i try to open the corrupted drive
View: https://i.imgur.com/KnLl0Np.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/RzMyxNa.jpg
Drive is going bad, only replacement would do.

Error comes when i install games on that partition, download movies, work on ps etc rest of the partition looks fine no issues so far from those
It has "Relocated sectors" and that means some sectors went bad because of damage to platter(s) and it's high possibility more will appear soon. Firmware tried to relocate data from damaged part to a healthy part but it's not possible to transfer all data, hence the problems and corruption.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution
Can you show screenshot from Disk Management and full list of SMART parameters?
Your CrystalDisk screenshot shows less than half of all the parameters.

Anyway - relocated sectors count 4688 (1250 hex) is significant. So - the drive is significantly damaged. Backup and replace.

BTW - about active partitions. Only one partition needs to be active (in legacy boot systems) - partition, that contains bootloader. If you're booting from SSD, then your HDD should not have any active partitions.

rechethas

Prominent
Apr 21, 2019

Anyway - relocated sectors count 4688 (1250 hex) is significant. So - the drive is significantly damaged. Backup and replace.

BTW - about active partitions. Only one partition needs to be active (in legacy boot systems) - partition, that contains bootloader. If you're booting from SSD, then your HDD should not have any active partitions.
Now the reallocated sector count is 5936

rechethas

Prominent
Apr 21, 2019

disk management
View: https://i.imgur.com/sJki1cZ.jpg

How to display the SMART parameters

rechethas

Prominent
Apr 21, 2019

I have a MSI gv62 8RE can you suggest which HDD to get when this gets <Mod Edit> up

Last edited by a moderator:

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Please tell us you have backups on external media before this situation, if not, boot a backup/restore program DVD or USB, using sector single pass, make either make an intelligent-copy full image or at least make an image of your selected data folders and files. You probably have to use another computer to create the B/R boots.

Last edited:
Reactions: rechethas

rechethas

Prominent
Apr 21, 2019
Please tell us you have backups on external media before this situation, if not, boot a backup/restore program DVD or USB, using sector single pass, make either make an intelligent-copy full image or at least make an image of your selected data folders and files. You probably have to use another computer to create the B/R boots.
i'm moving importing files to external HDD manually. I dont understand what you're saying can you help me backup

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
I'm on a stylus-only android tablet, cannot type extensively. You're doing aok copying data folders and files! If you're wanting to backup your Windows and 3rd party stuff, you will have to research a little bit for free backup and restore programs - Macrium Reflect, AOMEI Backupper, EaseUS Todo, and many others. As you ask others for their preferences, and as you quick-read a few of the backup/restore program web sites, you will get an idea of what you believe is best for you. Then, all of us here can give some advice, some but not all information, about using your chosen B/R program.

DSzymborski

Titan
Honestly, it's probably too late to do a backup disk image. Prioritize copying your important data that isn't backed up, first.

Unfortunately, the proper time to safely ensure your files are properly backed is before you have hard drive issues. This is a bit like driving to the store to buy a fire extinguisher after your kitchen's on fire.

rechethas

Prominent
Apr 21, 2019
I'm on a stylus-only android tablet, cannot type extensively. You're doing aok copying data folders and files! If you're wanting to backup your Windows and 3rd party stuff, you will have to research a little bit for free backup and restore programs - Macrium Reflect, AOMEI Backupper, EaseUS Todo, and many others. As you ask others for their preferences, and as you quick-read a few of the backup/restore program web sites, you will get an idea of what you believe is best for you. Then, all of us here can give some advice, some but not all information, about using your chosen B/R program.
Do you have any problems with copying data to another storage device?
Which HDD should i get as replacement. I use my laptop for gaming also