Corrupt MPEGs

I recently got a new PC, and transferred all my stuff via DVD+RW.

Now I've found that four video files (3 MPEGs and one AVI) cannot be
read on my new PC. These are files which I had no problems reading on my
old PC.

In one case, I was able to re-download the original version of the file.
I found that my unplayable version was 5195 bytes longer than the
original. The first 1240 bytes are all hex FF.

I haven't seen any sign of any other files being damaged. I've done a
full scan with Norton, which didn't find anything.

Anyone got any ideas?

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.video, Andrew R. Gillett wrote:
> I recently got a new PC, and transferred all my stuff via DVD+RW.
>
> Now I've found that four video files (3 MPEGs and one AVI) cannot be
> read on my new PC. These are files which I had no problems reading on my
> old PC.
>
> In one case, I was able to re-download the original version of the file.
> I found that my unplayable version was 5195 bytes longer than the
> original. The first 1240 bytes are all hex FF.
>
> I haven't seen any sign of any other files being damaged. I've done a
> full scan with Norton, which didn't find anything.

Turns out I needed the MPEG2 codec (would have been nice if WMP could
give better information on what is needed to play a video); and the file
which had changed size had been corrupted for a long time.