Corrupt Registry

I can not start windows. It says: winxp/system32/config/system is missing a
file or is corrupt. My question is: what can be the cause of this corruption
on a fresh install with all updatesand required drivers in place. Is it
hardware or software related? I use True Image so I was up and running in no
time, but I'm truely concerned as to why it happened in the first place.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated...

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

SeaOtter wrote:

> I can not start windows. It says: winxp/system32/config/system is missing a
> file or is corrupt. My question is: what can be the cause of this corruption
> on a fresh install with all updatesand required drivers in place. Is it
> hardware or software related? I use True Image so I was up and running in no
> time, but I'm truely concerned as to why it happened in the first place.
>
> Your comments will be greatly appreciated...

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822705

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks for the responses, but I've already been to these sites. I was hoping
for a first hand reply from someone who has "been there". :)

SeaOtter wrote:
> I can not start windows. It says: winxp/system32/config/system is missing a
> file or is corrupt. My question is: what can be the cause of this corruption
> on a fresh install with all updatesand required drivers in place. Is it
> hardware or software related? I use True Image so I was up and running in no
> time, but I'm truely concerned as to why it happened in the first place.
>
> Your comments will be greatly appreciated...

I've found such corruption to be most often caused by hardware issues,
with defective or even over-heated RAM being a leading cause.

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
starting
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

SeaOtter wrote:
> I can not start windows. It says: winxp/system32/config/system is missing a
> file or is corrupt. My question is: what can be the cause of this corruption
> on a fresh install with all updatesand required drivers in place. Is it
> hardware or software related? I use True Image so I was up and running in no
> time, but I'm truely concerned as to why it happened in the first place.
>
> Your comments will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks Bruce,

I will look into the memory possibility....

Pat Child

AKA: Seaotter