"Corrupted and Unreadable

bgoss4

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hi,

I spent today moving data around backing it up and consolidating it on a 2TB internal drive I just picked up, while also reinstalling windows onto an SSD. The problem is when I went to format the drive I had my OS installed on, after installing fresh windows onto my SSD a I got an error saying the format failed, and the device now appears as unreadable and corrupted. If I have it plugged in now, I get a boot error, but If I continue on windows loads fine. Just to be clear, I did the SSD windows install with no other drives plugged in, and made sure it booted windows off the fresh install. However, it appears that the computer is still trying to boot off the problem drive. My questions are:

What is going on with the booting?
Is my HDD busted? I would prefer that it be usable again, but there is no unique data associated with it.

Thanks

rdc85

Honorable
could u try boot just with SSD...

then hot plug (hot docking) the HDD...

As I know SATA HDD had capability for hot docking / plug / swap especially in AHCI mode....

Try secure the data first... and then destroy/wipe any partition in the HDD and re make them

dingo07

Distinguished
Your description is a little confusing... If I understand correctly - you installed a fresh copy of Windows onto an SSD while it being the only drive connected to the computer. And it does not boot into windows? Do you have the controller in BIOS set to AHCI?

bgoss4

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Yeah sorry I was in the grips of a pretty aggressive flu when I wrote that. Going to start by saying I fixed it (somehow). I did try hot swapping in the HDD, that is the point at which formatting it gave me the corrupted message. I tried the exact same thing today, and it formatted successfully. I then used diskpart to remove the lingering EFI partition on the HDD and I can now boot without getting an error message after POST. Thanks for the replies though.