Corrupted Hard Disk

My slave Maxtor 160 Gb has become corrupted. What are some ways that i can
remove some of my important files? It won't appear in My computer..
I've tried PC Inspector but it gives me an error message(access violation
at...) and freezes.
I have tried many other programs but the only one that seems to work is the
Virutal Lab Client..
Do you guys know of any cheaper alternatives or ways to extract my files?

Any data worth saving is worth backing up to another device.

Any data worth recovering is worth spending money on.

I have "never" had EasyRecovery Professional (from www.ontrack.com) fail me.
It IS expensive, but my data is also important/expensive to me! I wouldn't
ever be without the latest version of this program.

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)