[SOLVED] Corsair 4000D Airflow vs Meshify 2 Compact (Hopefully) Final Battle

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
This is basically the last 2 cases I've come down to. I really want good GPU thermals, but I also want good, high quality.
The Meshify costs 120 Euro, while the 4000D only costs 90 Euro, the Meshify has better overall quality, but the 4000D has better thermals.
I want to pay less, but I don't want to regret it later either, so I'm willing to fork over more money if the Meshify turns out to be better.
I was really leaning on the Meshify 2, but my entire goal for buying a new case, was to get better thermals.
So I really can't decide between them, I like how both of them look, I love the simplicity of the Meshify and it's overall quality, but I love the 4000D's performance.
I really don't care about future fan placement, I just want the case to support my Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240mm at the top and have good GPU thermal performance, that's all I need for now.
The 4000D is around 7C cooler in terms of GPU thermals than the Meshify, which is why this decision is very hard to make. I want quality and performance, yet I can't have both.
I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Solution
It matters little in your scenario. Pick the one you like the look of most, and work with it.
If the options weren't as narrow as the previous three and more broad, say: 4000D Vs Define C Vs 275Q, the verdict would've been more decisive, I'd think.
you seemed concerned about having bottom mounted fans for the GPU and the 4000D offers zero bottom mounting points.
and unlike the Meshify 2, it's lowest mounted front fan will be blowing directly into the PSU shroud and not towards the main interior & GPU.

The 4000D is around 7C cooler in terms of GPU thermals
where is this coming from?
someone actually took these two exact cases, used all of the exact same fans at the same RPMs, along with all other exact hardware and tested their GPU temperatures between the two?

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
you seemed concerned about having bottom mounted fans for the GPU and the 4000D offers zero bottom mounting points.
and unlike the Meshify 2, it's lowest mounted front fan will be blowing directly into the PSU shroud and not towards the main interior & GPU.

where is this coming from?
someone actually took these two exact cases, used all of the exact same fans at the same RPMs, along with all other exact hardware and tested their GPU temperatures between the two?

Checked GamersNexus and his review of the Meshify 2 Compact, in the GPU torture segment.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
In the fan standardized segment (Basically just using the same fan config across the cases, fan count and orientation I believe.) though, the Fractal lost by 5C.
You are aware what Steve runs in the standardized test, right?
"For this testing, we’re using two Noctua NF-A14 fans in the front, with one NF-F12 in the rear. It is of critical importance that anyone doing this controls where each individual fan is placed – even though we’re using two of the same model fan in the front, we have marked which one goes in the top slot and which goes in the lower of the two front slots. This is because fan RPM varies by +/-10% from unit-to-unit, so blindly switching these can drastically impact results in a way that creates wide error margins. Being blind to these important differences in fan speed could lead a tester astray when analyzing results."
He also uses a tower air cooler(Msi Core Frozer L) over an hybrid cooler in this test.

You've already deviated from his testing with the 240mm cooler, and that's also not taking into account the fans you're going to use, where they're being placed, and how fast you will run them.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
You are aware what Steve runs in the standardized test, right?
"For this testing, we’re using two Noctua NF-A14 fans in the front, with one NF-F12 in the rear. It is of critical importance that anyone doing this controls where each individual fan is placed – even though we’re using two of the same model fan in the front, we have marked which one goes in the top slot and which goes in the lower of the two front slots. This is because fan RPM varies by +/-10% from unit-to-unit, so blindly switching these can drastically impact results in a way that creates wide error margins. Being blind to these important differences in fan speed could lead a tester astray when analyzing results."
He also uses a tower air cooler(Msi Core Frozer L) over an hybrid cooler in this test.

You've already deviated from his testing with the 240mm cooler, and that's also not taking into account the fans you're going to use, where they're being placed, and how fast you will run them.

I see, I misunderstood the way he tested.
I'm going to be putting the rad at the top, pushing air out, while using 3 Silent Wings 3 120mm fans @1200 RPM as intakes, using the stock, or maybe another pair of Silent Wings 3 fans, as rear exhaust and as an Intake right underneath the GPU.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
I see, I misunderstood the way he tested.
I'm going to be putting the rad at the top, pushing air out, while using 3 Silent Wings 3 120mm fans @1200 RPM as intakes, using the stock, or maybe another pair of Silent Wings 3 fans, as rear exhaust and as an Intake right underneath the GPU.

I'm basically filling the case with fans either way. I just want to know which one would be the best.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It matters little in your scenario. Pick the one you like the look of most, and work with it.
If the options weren't as narrow as the previous three and more broad, say: 4000D Vs Define C Vs 275Q, the verdict would've been more decisive, I'd think.

Solution

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018

I see then.

If it truly doesn't really matter, then I shall get the Meshify 2 Compact, mainly because I love it's design and ease of use, even if it is quite a bit more expensive.