Corsair 850 watt HX good for 470 SLI?

bfreak

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I recently recieved a 850 watt PSU, but i'm worried it wont be enough wattage for my system.

Right now my plan is:

Cooler Master HAF-X

core i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHZ

GTX 470's SLI

4 GB G-Skill Ram

2 HDD's

1 SSD

Do you think a 850 watt PSU will handle that system with 470's in SLI? I know i could go with the 6870 and use less power, but i preferred to stick with NVIDIA out of personal preferance. (as well as Physx)

Don't the new i5's consume even less power than previous i5's?/i7's?

Solution
Yes, Intel's second generation core i processors do consume less power than their predecessors. The i5 2500k is a 95W TDP chip if I'm remembering correctly.

An 850 HX will power two 470's just fine, but why not get 2 GTX 560's? They are just as fast (or in some cases slightly faster) and use less power. Just a suggestion. I haven't checked 470 prices yet, so they could be more cost-effective. Good luck with your build.
What make / model power supply is that 850w you just picked up? Should be fine assuming it is an efficient PSU. You can get a close calculation using a PSU calculator (http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html). Yes, the new i5 CPUs (Sandy Bridge) will use less power than the previous generations...

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Yes, Intel's second generation core i processors do consume less power than their predecessors. The i5 2500k is a 95W TDP chip if I'm remembering correctly.

An 850 HX will power two 470's just fine, but why not get 2 GTX 560's? They are just as fast (or in some cases slightly faster) and use less power. Just a suggestion. I haven't checked 470 prices yet, so they could be more cost-effective. Good luck with your build.

Solution

bfreak

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Thanks for the info! I kept hearing the 470 took a lot of power so i was worried i need a beefier supply.

@morton, you know i feel like an idiot. I even read the review and benchmark tests on Toms about the card and somehow got sidetracked between 6870 vs gtx470. After looking at it though, it seems as though they are around the same price and the 560 is actually a better card.
Same performance with less power and less heat.

I think i've already decided to choose those instead. (currenly the 470's dont look like they have actually dropped in price)

Thanks everyone for the help and the suggestions.

TRENDING THREADS