Corsair AF120 fine for radiator?

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
I am going to be using these as my case fans and I wanted to know if it would be ok for me to use it as a radiator fan. I know the SP series is better for this, but it is also more than double the price for one, where I can pay less than half for 2 AF series. It just helps if I can use it on the radiator so I can save a lot more money and put it towards other parts. So will the AF be ok for a 120mm radiator. It is the DeepCool Maelstrom 120k btw.

Solution
Corsair has both AF and SP series fans which are designed for different purposes.

The AF series fans are for high air flow under low resistance applications, such as when used as case fans.

It's recommended to use the SP (Static Pressure) series for heat sink and radiator applications that will have high resistance to the air flow.

There is no reason an AF fan wouldn't work with a heat sink or radiator, just understand you're going to get poor performance out of the fan and the device you're attempting to keep cool with it.
Corsair has both AF and SP series fans which are designed for different purposes.

The AF series fans are for high air flow under low resistance applications, such as when used as case fans.

It's recommended to use the SP (Static Pressure) series for heat sink and radiator applications that will have high resistance to the air flow.

There is no reason an AF fan wouldn't work with a heat sink or radiator, just understand you're going to get poor performance out of the fan and the device you're attempting to keep cool with it.

Solution

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016

Thanks, and I understand this. But do you have a prediction for how large the performance drop would be? I am considering just keeping the Static Pressure fan I have on tbh.

No idea, to be honest. If I had to wager a guess, I would think the AF's would probably let your radiator work about as well as a entry level or middle of the road air cooler. In my own opinion, the only benefit of water cooling if not for better thermals would be less noise. I don't do it for any sort of gratification or nifty factor.

I actually yanked the SP120's off of my Corsair 120mm radiator because I personally found their performance underwhelming. I replaced them with a very high static pressure set which gave me about a 20°C decrease under load.

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016

I mean I am getting fine temps, I'm not looking for some crazy over the top performance, just keeping it cool. The current fan is the one that came with the cooler, 120x120x20mm Static pressure fan. I imagine this is one of their lower end fans, so do you think I would get a large performance drop when changing a low tier Static fan to a mid tier Air one?

Can I say with any certainty? No, but I can make a guess. If the supplied fans are decent, I would expect the change to lower static pressure is probably going to add in the neighborhood of 5 - 10 °C to your current temperatures, and return to idle temperature will take longer, though I doubt that is an issue.

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016

Thanks for constantly replying, I just ended up getting the ThermalTake Riing 14 for the rad.