Question Corsair H150i Pro XT not responding to temp increases

bs8814

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
I'm currently working on a build with a 7900x that's being cooled with a H150i Pro XT on a TUF X670-E Plus motherboard. I couldn't find a thread really fitting this problem so I thought I'd make one.

The problem I'm having is its not responding to temps at all. The fans won't ramp up at all they just stay at the same RPM as idle and even when the temps are 90+ degrees. The pump is plugged into the CPU fan header, I've tried moving it to the pump header as well with no success.

What I've tried so far:
  • Adjusting fan curves in BIOS
  • Checked the fan settings in BIOS and everything should be responding to CPU temps
  • The fans are plugged into a splitter that comes connected to the pump with the H150i, I tried plugging the fans into the motherboard fan headers with no luck
  • Plugging the pump into the AIO header on the motherboard
  • Reinstalled the motherboard drivers from ASUS motherboard support page
  • I've updated the BIOS as well
  • Reseated the CPU and cooler mounting multiple times (it's definitely secured properly, not too tight or loose)

Has anyone else come across this problem before? At this point I'm starting to think the cooler is faulty. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'm currently working on a build with a 7900x that's being cooled with a H150i Pro XT on a TUF X670-E Plus motherboard. I couldn't find a thread really fitting this problem so I thought I'd make one.

The problem I'm having is its not responding to temps at all. The fans won't ramp up at all they just stay at the same RPM as idle and even when the temps are 90+ degrees. The pump is plugged into the CPU fan header, I've tried moving it to the pump header as well with no success.

What I've tried so far:
  • Adjusting fan curves in BIOS
  • Checked the fan settings in BIOS and everything should be responding to CPU temps
  • The fans are plugged into a splitter that comes connected to the pump with the H150i, I tried plugging the fans into the motherboard fan headers with no luck
  • Plugging the pump into the AIO header on the motherboard
  • Reinstalled the motherboard drivers from ASUS motherboard support page
  • I've updated the BIOS as well
  • Reseated the CPU and cooler mounting multiple times (it's definitely secured properly, not too tight or loose)
Has anyone else come across this problem before? At this point I'm starting to think the cooler is faulty. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Radiator fans connected straight to CPU_FAN header on MB ? Header set to PWM ?

bs8814

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
Radiator fans connected straight to CPU_FAN header on MB ? Header set to PWM ?
Yeah so the pump is connected to the CPU fan header, Im 90% sure it's set to PWM (need to check though) and this cooler has a splitter with 3 headers that's hardwired off of the connector for the pump. So the radiator fans are connected to the splitter (the splitter also has the SATA power connected to it). Other versions I've used have a controller in the box but this one doesn't; it's just has that splitter. I can't send photos till Monday as it's at work.

bs8814

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
Why are the fans not plugged into the controller that comes with the AIO which allows this to be controlled by iCue.

I’d also go with the radiator fans should react to coolant temperature with the pump reacting to cpu temperature.
This version doesn't have a controller in the box (I've installed a fair few of the ones with the commander pro in the box). This one instead has a splitter connected to the pump along with the pump connector and sata power. The splitter has 3 fan headers so I assume that's where the 3 radiator fans are supposed to connect.

As for coolant temperature, the coolant temps are definitely going up as I stress tested with AIDA64 for 30 minutes (also used cinebench and CPU burner). If it's working off coolant temperature it's not responding to changes in coolant temp. Every other Corsair AIO I've used ramps up the radiator fans as soon as CPU temp climbs which is why I'm so confused. The CPU will thermal throttle but the radiator fans are just sitting at low RPM.

I'm starting to think one of the temp sensors in the cooler is faulty. From what I've said would you think that?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You've spoken of trying to observe and control the rad fans in BIOS Setup. With this system the rad fans are supposed to be connected to that three-output set of fan connectors from the PUMP unit. The entire CPU cooling system is controlled by the Corsair utility iCUE, and NOT by anthing the BIOS does. What I find intriguing is that you do NOT tel us anything about what you see or have tried to use in iCUE. Are you using iCUE at all? If you don't have that installed AND a connecting cable attached from the PUMP to a mobo USB2 beader, iCUE is NOT doing its control job. In that situation the AIO system will default to fixed settings that are sufficient to provide basic cooling for start-ups and adjustment, but will NOT do any automatic changes of fan speeds according to temperatures. Check whether iCUE is running.

bs8814

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
Strangely enough I solved this issue by plugging a separate 3 way fan splitter into the CPU fan header and plugging the radiator fans into the splitter. This worked instead of using the splitter that's attached to the pump. For some reason iCue won't detect the cooler but that's not an issue for me.