thehall16

Reputable
May 30, 2020
My current specs:

Ryzen 7 5800x
AsRock B450M-HDV
Corsair TX550M
1650 SUPER Aero ITX

I recently installed a Corsair H150i Rgb Pro XT into my build and ran into an issue. Upon startup, the pump head's rgb does not light up and, considering the 90 degree Celsius temps, is not on either. The three radiator fans that are plugged into the pump head spin on and are at full blast, so power isn't the issue. I have double and triple checked the sata, motherboard, usb, and fan connections, they are all secure. I have the motherboard connection plugged into the CHA_FAN/W_PUMP header on the motherboard and I believe it may be the issue. Do I need to update my BIOS? Quite lost at the moment. Can provide photos if needed.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
See p. 61 of your manual about configuration of the fan headers. For the CHA_FAN1/WPump header, you MUST make a choice of WHAT is plugged in here. Set it to PUMP for your situation. Then use ESC back to Main Menu, then the F10 key to get to the Exit Menu (p. 73). Choose Save Changes and Exit to save your setting and reboot. This will ensure that header understands you have a pump there.

IF you have not yet downloaded and installed the Corsair utility iCUE, your system should start up and provide adequate CPU cooling by default, although it will not be able to control for significant workload changes. IF you HAVE that utility running, check what it says about the PUMP speed - it should be over 2000, I think. IF there is any setting to be made about WHERE the PUMP is plugged in, do that. Also check how the pump speed option is set. iCUE is unusual in allowing you to select a few pump speeds less than full speed, so ensure it is not set too slow.

thehall16

Reputable
May 30, 2020
See p. 61 of your manual about configuration of the fan headers. For the CHA_FAN1/WPump header, you MUST make a choice of WHAT is plugged in here. Set it to PUMP for your situation. Then use ESC back to Main Menu, then the F10 key to get to the Exit Menu (p. 73). Choose Save Changes and Exit to save your setting and reboot. This will ensure that header understands you have a pump there.

IF you have not yet downloaded and installed the Corsair utility iCUE, your system should start up and provide adequate CPU cooling by default, although it will not be able to control for significant workload changes. IF you HAVE that utility running, check what it says about the PUMP speed - it should be over 2000, I think. IF there is any setting to be made about WHERE the PUMP is plugged in, do that. Also check how the pump speed option is set. iCUE is unusual in allowing you to select a few pump speeds less than full speed, so ensure it is not set too slow.

I have the option in BIOS set to W_PUMP and have tried the DC and PWM options, both to no avail. I doubt installing iCue will turn the pump on, but I see what you're saying. I believe the unit may be dead.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You are right. The way that system is designed, if iCUE is NOT installed and running to take control, the pump and fans will default to working almost full power to ensure you DO get good (maybe excess) cooling until you get things working properly. So if it is not working and the pump appears dead, failure certainly is possible. It is interesting that BOTH the pump finction AND the lights are not working - that MIGHT be caused by a poor connection from the SATA power supply lines. If not, failure likely. You'll need to contact Corsair Tech Support for help.

thehall16

Reputable
May 30, 2020
You are right. The way that system is designed, if iCUE is NOT installed and running to take control, the pump and fans will default to working almost full power to ensure you DO get good (maybe excess) cooling until you get things working properly. So if it is not working and the pump appears dead, failure certainly is possible. It is interesting that BOTH the pump finction AND the lights are not working - that MIGHT be caused by a poor connection from the SATA power supply lines. If not, failure likely. You'll need to contact Corsair Tech Support for help.

Yep I think you're right. Plugged in into my buddy's system and the same result. We deduced that the pump was on, just spinning very slowly, and when shaken, sped up a little. We figured there must be debris in the system (maybe from shipping or past use) and still no RGB. Requested a refund through eBay as that's where I bought it. Moral of the story don't trust eBay sellers.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for Best Solution. You seem to have found the cause and the path forward. Personally I had no problem with things bought on eBay, but that was many years ago and I was cautions and maybe lucky!