Corsair HX 850w Silver fan speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyBatman

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Corsair HX 850x Silver for my rig (specs below).

I've installed all components, powered on and my PSU's fan seems to be running full tilt constantly. The research I've don't here and elsewhere tells me that this PSU should be basically silent until its put under load. It is by FAR the loudest component of my PC. I can hear the fan running from 15-20 feet away in the BIOS/Safe mode/anything.

There is no clicking or buzzing at any time, just a loud fan. The air blowing out the back of the PSU is quite cool, so assume nothing is overheating inside. I do have a dust screen on my case underneath the PSU, but the fans run at the same speed with or without it in place.

I'm curious whether or not I'd be able to check what the load on the PSU is in the BIOS. I know how extensive it is, but I'm afraid to change to many settings. I was thinking disabling something that is forcing the PSU past a threshold may solve the issue.

This IS my first scratch build, but I do know what I'm doing for the most part. If there are any massively glaring issues with my set up, feel free to point them out, but otherwise consider this a build in progress.

Rig Specs:
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate - booting from SSD
Case - Antec p280
Mobo - Asus SABERTOOTH Z87
RAM - Patriot Viper 3 - 2 x 4GB PV38G160C9K
CPU - Intel i7 4770k
CPU Fan - Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
GPU - XFX Radeon 6950 (will be upgrading to Nvidia 780ti or AMD R9 290x most likely)
SSD - Samsung 840 mz-7td120
HDD1 - WD 1TB wd1002faex
HDD2 - Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7200 11
PSU: Corsair HX 850x Silver

Any information if appreciated. I'll RMA if that's the best solution, but I'd like to avoid that if this can be troubleshooted... troubleshot? I don't know.

Thanks!

LazyBatman

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Hi all,

If anyone has been tracking this and is still curious, I've just resorted to returning the unit.
I'm fairly confident I just purchased a faulty PSU.

Picked up and Corsair RM850 Gold instead and it's working fine.

Mods - This thread can be closed. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.