[SOLVED] Corsair LL120 Fans orientation with Lian li case

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
Hi

At the moment I have on AIO 360 which means 3 fans, plus 6 Corsair LL120 fans.

I was thinking in this orientation:
  • Top: AIO exhaust
  • Rear: 3 Fans intake
  • Bottom: 3 Fans intake
Maybe this configuration is not equilibrated.

I have the chance to buy more 3 fans, and in this case it would be:
  • Rear: 3 Fans exhaust
  • Front: 3 Fans intake
What do you think? Suggestions are welcome with those 6 Fans or with additional 3 Fans.

My case is Lian Li O11 Dynamic with i9-10900K, Kraken Z73 AIO, MSI MEG Z490 ACE and Asus RTX 3090.

Solution
The dust filters remain in place when using the PC. They should only be removed to clean them.

CountMike is right, you don’t need that many fans, but I guess you could run them at half speed.

In general you always want more intake than exhaust to prevent dust getting in through gaps and holes in the case. You should also run the intake fans slightly faster than the exhaust fans if you can. The idea is to have positive air pressure inside the case.
Hi

At the moment I have on AIO 360 which means 3 fans, plus 6 Corsair LL120 fans.

I was thinking in this orientation:
  • Rear: 3 Fans intake
Maybe this configuration is not equilibrated.

I have the chance to buy more 3 fans, and in this case it would be:
  • Rear: 3 Fans exhaust
  • Front: 3 Fans intake
What do you think? Suggestions are welcome with those 6 Fans or with additional 3 Fans.

My case is Lian Li O11 Dynamic with i9-10900K, Kraken Z73 AIO, MSI MEG Z490 ACE and Asus RTX 3090.
Second plan for sure but I'm not sure why you need so many. Air flow you can regulate by varying speeds of fan groups. Unless you are running into CPU (over)heating, AIO fans would run slower than case fans anyway and they also have lower flow rates than case fans.

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
Second plan for sure but I'm not sure why you need so many. Air flow you can regulate by varying speeds of fan groups. Unless you are running into CPU (over)heating, AIO fans would run slower than case fans anyway and they also have lower flow rates than case fans.

Which means: if the AIO fans would run slower than the LL120 fans, the system is even worse compensated for the first option, right? (6 intake fans + 3 exhaust fans at slower speed...)

Yes, I have commander pro as well to regulate speeds. And yes, I will almost for sure overclock CPU up to... we will see... ;)

Which means: if the AIO fans would run slower than the LL120 fans, the system is even worse compensated for the first option, right? (6 intake fans + 3 exhaust fans at slower speed...)

Yes, I have commander pro as well to regulate speeds. And yes, I will almost for sure overclock CPU up to... we will see... ;)
Positive pressure is good for radiators, that's why their fans emphasize higher static pressure over air flow, it takes more power to push air thru. Besides, you are almost certainly going to use air filters before intake fans which also lowers their efficacy by at least 20%. As you say you plan to OC CPU, that part needs more help as obviously case and parts installed will be adequately cooled.

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
Positive pressure is good for radiators, that's why their fans emphasize higher static pressure over air flow, it takes more power to push air thru. Besides, you are almost certainly going to use air filters before intake fans which also lowers their efficacy by at least 20%. As you say you plan to OC CPU, that part needs more help as obviously case and parts installed will be adequately cooled.

What do you mean by air filters?

I didn't by anything more than the LL120 fans and the commander pro... Do I need something more?

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
They are held in place by magnets so it's easier to remove and clean. They should be only with intake fans, not exhaust.

I didn't understand... They are connected to the case doors, not "glued" but a sort of... I am supposed to clean them when full of dust, right? Should I take them out for other reasons?

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
It's pretty strong magnets holding them. Like fridge magnets.

I still need to build the pc. I was just looking to the case yesterday to see how it looks like. But I still didn't understand if the filters are supposed to be moved to another place or to leave them in the same original place, except for dust cleaning.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
The dust filters remain in place when using the PC. They should only be removed to clean them.

CountMike is right, you don’t need that many fans, but I guess you could run them at half speed.

In general you always want more intake than exhaust to prevent dust getting in through gaps and holes in the case. You should also run the intake fans slightly faster than the exhaust fans if you can. The idea is to have positive air pressure inside the case.

Solution

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021

I thought that pressures should be more or less equilibrated between intake and exhaust, but if it is like this, then it might be possible that my first configuration is OK, with 6 intake Corsair LL120 fans and 3 exhaust fans, the three from the Kraken Z73 which come with the radiador. Is it fine and enough?

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I thought that pressures should be more or less equilibrated between intake and exhaust, but if it is like this, then it might be possible that my first configuration is OK, with 6 intake Corsair LL120 fans and 3 exhaust fans, the three from the Kraken Z73 which come with the radiador. Is it fine and enough?
More than enough, yes.

Accepted wisdom is that intake is way more important than exhaust. Positive air pressure helps keep dust out. Personally I only run my 2 radiator fans as exhaust, and have three intakes.

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
More than enough, yes.

Accepted wisdom is that intake is way more important than exhaust. Positive air pressure helps keep dust out. Personally I only run my 2 radiator fans as exhaust, and have three intakes.

OK, I wll see how temperatures will be. I hope it will be enough. If not, I would still have space for 3 fans in the front (changing the 3 in the rear from intake to exhaust), 1 in the left upper side and 1 in the back. It is exagerated for sure...