Review Corsair MP600 Core Mini 2TB SSD Review: Big Storage Without The Footprint

cyrusfox

Distinguished
When talking about 2230 drives, you[Tom's Hardware] need to include the king of value, which is the sn740. Performs similar to the sn770m at a fraction of the price.

The SN740 can be found for around $120 from Aliexpress for 2tb 2230 drive (Ebay starts at $127, amazon wants $169 or more depending on seller...). Its faster than the Corsair (seq writes spec is 4850 vs 3800), it has TLC flash which helps it provide 50TB higher endurance (250 cycles, 500TBW vs the 450TBW this drive offers).

The SN740 has been broadly available & cheap for over 6 months now (Ibought 2 drives back in June for the same price (≈$120 each). 2230 ssd reviews without it are severely disappointing, missed opportunity. I expect the sn740 to best the sn770m in terms of efficiency (it is not as highly tuned for performance, not sure how the steady state writes would fare, SN770m has a disappoint showing here...). I have not observed that kind of performance degradation (as long as they are properly cooled).
LX5KG3BqLGriJknyJ6RLcA-970-80.png.webp

HW79TxgUKBcNZhg3NuNMnA-970-80.png.webp

I would love to see a proper 2230 showdown including entries from all the NAND manufactures such as Solidigm 1tb P41 plus as well as all the rest of the OEM drives (SK hynix latest drive, is that the BC901?). See who the true efficiency winner is as of 2024.

This Corsair drive does a great showing for power efficiency against the field of drives it was compared against.
2qAcw6FFYfwK6pRhwYToim-970-80.png.webp

Last edited:
Reactions: TCA_ChinChin

Andre-V

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
The Corsair MP600 Core Mini provides good-enough performance with high power efficiency. This makes it a great upgrade for the Steam Deck, ASUS ROG Ally, and other portable devices that require shorter M.2 SSDs at high capacity.

Corsair MP600 Core Mini 2TB SSD Review: Big Storage Without The Footprint : Read more
The only two good things about this drive are the relatively big capacity at that very small form factor and decent speeds, but other than that its all weak or even bad, I'm talking specifically about QLC cells and no DRAM cache. This drive will wear out really fast.

Feb 3, 2024
An extra 12 minutes of battery life on the Deck by swapping out the SSD would be quite impressive if accurate. It's odd that the Addlink S91 comes out so much worse in the estimated battery life when the individual test results for wattage are generally chart toppers.

Last edited: