Corsair Obsidian 900D Review: Making Room For High-End Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
I am seriously waiting for this to be come available in Australia, I have the 800D , I love it, but I have no room left and I want/Need more liquid cooling Rad space without resorting to Case Mods, The Corsair 900D will do me perfectly and hopefully won't look so full

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
^yeah, I've never seen any computer related benchmarks done in Fahrenheit , lol.
Very nice review though, Corsair makes some sweet cases, second only to the custom suppliers (mountain mods and the others) but much cheaper.

JJ1217

Honorable
[citation][nom]kitsunestarwind[/nom]I am seriously waiting for this to be come available in Australia, I have the 800D , I love it, but I have no room left and I want/Need more liquid cooling Rad space without resorting to Case Mods, The Corsair 900D will do me perfectly and hopefully won't look so full[/citation]

Be prepared to fork out an extra $120 because of the simple fact we're from Australia.

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I don't fully understand your review. Workstation-class rig is up to the challenge for exploring 900D abilities, but gaming rig? You slap off-the-shelf closed loop watercooler on the midrange CPU (TDP wise), one simple GPU and call it 'watercooled system'? What's the point? Get two or three water coolled GPUs in addition to CPU, set up one loop and them evaluate if the case is suitable for serious LC&OC, and if it's possible to arrange radiators such way to get rid of the heat and not kill usability. Point is: for such class of case you put low-end gaming rig. It doesn't tell us will it perform if serious system is inside. If the case performs with high-wattage rig, it will do for any smaller one, but not necessarily the other way around.

zankuto

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Great case. Did anyone else noticed the teddy bear in the window reflection in the picture in the "illuminated case mod" page lol

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
I love minimalistic designs. Although I prefer the Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window, but that's why I own one. The Fractal case is a midtower though and if your looking for something as awesome as the R4, but in a full tower, I'd definitely recommend this case.

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
[citation][nom]Idonno[/nom]My 800D preforms great with a high end system and there is every indication the 900D is even better.[/citation]

They built two different systems in this rig. One to test the heat, and another one to try and replicate what a "normal" buyer would probably do with this case. Not many people go all high end, 6,000$ build. And even if they do, the Opteron build shows that it can handle any heat you throw at it. Because the Opteron build is a lot hotter than a water cooled build. So the with the Opteron build you learn a whole lot more about the cooling prowess of the case vs. 2 480mm radiators anyways.

I see your point, but I think your asking for a bit too much. You wanted them to do a third build? Because to me, it's more important to show these two builds than a 5-6000$ build that most people aren't getting anyways. And to me, it's pretty obvious that you can fit this case with 2 480mm radiators and it would stay cool. So your not really learning anything by doing that.

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
I know I can just convert temperatures to C, but given how much more prevalent it is in the computer industry, can we have the temperatures given in C and then convert to F if we'd like. Better yet, include both. Thanks.

G

Hahaha, I almost had a heart attack when I saw the temps! Then I realized it was in Fahrenheit.

Good review though.

grokem

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
As much as I hate how all cases include too many external 5.25" bays, I applaud you for actually using them in this review. Almost every mid-tower ATX case or larger has 4 external bays that never get used. I could see an entire article about this topic.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Here is the original with understandable temps:
http://www.tomshardware.de/Corsair-Obsidian-900D,testberichte-241254-14.html

I got this case really late and in the end I had only 3 days for testing, photos and write the whole review. I think, the workstation hardware is more realistic to stress big cases in the hard way. Water cooling is interesting but not the way to check out the cooling possibilities of a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.