Question Corsair SP LL120 RGB fans

CHRISYHD

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
Hi I’m wanting to know if you can fit the Corsair SpLL120 node RGb fans on my motherboard it’s a GA-H81M-S2V I do how ever have a spare usb fan_1 slot available on the board would I need to put the cable you get with it to that slot then it should work and I’m wanting to know we’re I need to put the back fan connected to my motherboard as I won’t be needing my fan cable splitter please can you guys let me know before I buy the Corsair fans

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First, that mobo has no way to power and control the RGB lights in a lighted fan, so you need an RGB controller of the correct type to go with whatever fans you buy. Fortunately, several models of RGB fan by Corsair are sold in packs of three that also include the right controller for them. Which model of controller (and how the control changes are made) varies a bit. It appears in all cases that the controller boxes provide power and control to BOTH the fan motors and the lights in the fan frames. In such a case you do not need to make any fan motor connections to a mobo SYS_FAN header, and that may mean there is no automatic fan speed control in at least one case.

You need to get clear which fans you are talking about - there are no Corsair SP120LL fans. They do sell SP120 RGB fans, and the 3-pack comes with 2 boxes - a hub that you plug your fans into and that gets power from a SATA power output from the PSU, and a 3-button box of manual controls for colour displays and fan speed.

They sell the LL120 RGB fans in a 3-pack with two boxes, but different. The set includes that same lighting Hub plus their Lighting Node Pro controller. This latter device connects to a SATA power output from the PSU for power, to a mobo USB2 header and to the Hub. Then you download and use their iCue software utility that communicates (via the USB2 cable) with the Lighting Node Pro box to generate the light display and fan speed control signals by software, rather than by manual butons.

Corsair sells their iCue SP120 RGB Pro fans in a 3-pack with their new Lighting Node Core single box that combines the controller and hub functions into one box. It connects and operates similarly to give you iCue software control using a USB2 cable communication connection.

In all these cases, power and control of both the fan motors and the lighting components in the frames are done by the Control box system supplied with the 3-pack of fans. You do NOT do control of either function of the fans using your mobo headers, so there is no compatibility issue to be concerned about.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, that's correct. You could use a 3-pack of Corsair LL120 fans for case ventilation , and the included Lighting Hub and Lighting Node Pro units to control them by their iCue software. I believe that software actually does its automatic fan speed control job in a manner similar to what the mobo would do. That is, iCue probably reads the mobo temperature sensor value from the BIOS and then uses that to guide how it sets the speed of its fans. In the meantime, you certainly CAN connect the rear fan that is not part of this trio (I believe that came with the case) to the mobo CHA_FAN header and let that do its normal automatic speed control also based on that same mobo temp sensor.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, clarify for me. I thought those fans come with only ONE cable from each fan motor / frame and those plug into the ports of the Lighting Node Core. I thought there is NO separate cable from the motor to plug into a mobo fan header. Is that correct, or wrong?

CHRISYHD

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
They came with 2 wire 1 for the nord core and other is for the fan it’s self it’s it still fine if I plugged the fan ones into a separate splitter cz I through it came with the nord pro aswell

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, that helps. So the Lighting Node Core unit power and controls ONLY the lights in the fan frames. The actual fan MOTORS are qeach powered and controlled thourhg their own cables, and you have used a separate Splitter to connect them all to something. I presume that's to a fan header on the mobo.

The SP120 fan design is of the older 3-pin type. This means that their speeds can be controlled only by a header that is using the older Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode), and NOT by the new PWM Mode. so your mobo fan header needs to be configured this way if possible. Post back here the maker and exact model number of your mobo so we can check its details and advise how.