Corsair Teams Up With Asus On DDR4; G.SKILL Breaks Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkr

Splendid
I like the quick progres that we are seeing with the speeds. the mits speed is already better for ddr4, now we just have to watch the timing fall and the prices will quickly follow with lowering. It is so nice to finally have some new equipment to lust after

thefiend1

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Im not up on my DDR4 stuff but im wondering - these speeds are so much faster than what the current DDR3 can achieve. Is the "4000" mhz relative, or in the same context, as the prior gen?

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Im not up on my DDR4 stuff but im wondering - these speeds are so much faster than what the current DDR3 can achieve. Is the "4000" mhz relative, or in the same context, as the prior gen?

It is not really comparable, because the IPC changed. Latencies are starting at 15, but real world performance varies depending on workload, as per usual.

But 4 gigahertz RAM is still an achievement. It is just that modern CPUs, especially the kind you will see DDR4 used for at first (huge l3 cache 2011s) wiill benefit from ultra-high bandwidth the most because they have the largest FSB data rates, albeit without onboard graphics which is the best utilizer of high bandwidth ram. And even then, it is unlikely we will see a noticeable performance impact.

fkr

Splendid

amd is supposed to be making their net chipset work with both ddr 3 and ddr4.

i believe the biggest advantage of ddr4 is that the overall throughput is higher from 1800mits to 2300 or something

Steve Simons

Honorable
May 31, 2014
For now the frequency record will have a pretty minimal impact given a lack of built in GPU on the new Haswells. I can see it having a niche place for companies that use large rendering projects requiring massive RAM loads, but obviously this is all good for the future when the timings come down.

The bigger question is what timing benchmark reductions will have to be achieved to drive demand for the product?

The clocks are directly comparable, and bandwidth is calculated exactly the same way. However, it's not true that these speeds are faster than what DDR3 can achieve. The fastest rated DDR4 modules here are DDR4-3300. Well DDR3-3200 was introduced over a year ago. And the world record for DDR3 overclocking is 4620, while the DDR4 world record is only 4004... for now.

One thing you do have to keep in mind is that latencies tend to be higher for DDR4 than DDR3. Especially comparing at similar clocks. That should also improve over time.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
What I'm curious about is what will Intell plan to do with Broadwell's memory controller next year. Will they stay with the DDR3 or move up to something more up to date?

As for AMD, they said they're still committed to high end computing, but I'll believe when I see it. I'm not holding my breath for them, until they show something that's worthwhile.

voltagetoe

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Having high clocks like 3300mhz doesn't mean that the chip is fast - it might actually perform slower than a 2133 DDR3. If only clocks are lifted up - memory performace degrades at some point. I recommend checking out some benchmarks before believing in memory megahertzes.

Status
Not open for further replies.