[SOLVED] Corsair Vengeance Dual Troubleshooting

Mar 12, 2020
Hello, i have just bought a Corsair Vengeance Model: cmz16gx3m4a1600c9, it's a 4x4 individual ram, i have another 3 Corsair Vengeances model: cmz8gx3m2a1600c9. i have 4 ram sticks, all ram are 1600mhz, same speed, same timing, same everything but this new one is a 4x4.

My problem is it's not working on dual with my 4th ram, why?.
My motherboard supports it, im pretty sure and it's also not working alone in duo with another ram, i have it right now alone working with a free dual stick while there are the other two working on dual, it's just 12 of 16gb right now, i want all 16.

To remember:

I have just one cmz16gx3m4a1600c9 witch it's 4x4gb to make 16gb.
i have 3 cmz8gx3m2a1600c9 witch it's 2x4gb to make 8gb. (all working for 12gb by the moment, a dual with another free stick).

Solution
These kits are sold as kits for a reason.

There are basically 3 companies that make ram; Samsung, Hynix, and Micron.
Companies like corsair simply buy these modules, stick them on a PCB, paint their logo on it and sell it to you.

So; what I'm getting at is: even though they are a similar product number, the chips may not even be from the same manufacturer; ergo they may not work together.

Ram kits are put together on purpose to maximize their compatibility with their partnered ram sticks. They are pre-tested for compatibility with each other and use exactly the same ram modules from one of the 3 companies above.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From what I understand from your post...
Feb 16, 2020

Companies like corsair simply buy these modules, stick them on a PCB, paint their logo on it and sell it to you.

So; what I'm getting at is: even though they are a similar product number, the chips may not even be from the same manufacturer; ergo they may not work together.

Ram kits are put together on purpose to maximize their compatibility with their partnered ram sticks. They are pre-tested for compatibility with each other and use exactly the same ram modules from one of the 3 companies above.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From what I understand from your post, you are trying to cram AT LEAST THREE different ram kits together, not two:

The CMZ8 set only comes in 2x4Gb; and you have 3 sticks which means that you have at LEAST 2 kits of CMZ8 that you are mixing:

2 sticks from kit A
1 stick from kit B

Then; you have one stick from a 4x4Gb kit; CMZ16
1 stick from kit C

The chances that even two of the kits above would work together are iffy. When you try to mix 3 different kits; you are probably going to have issues; so yeah mate - this is normal behaviour resultant from attempting to mix at least 3, if not 4 different kits of ram together.

So basically; you might try messing with the settings of the ram if you can; latencies, and whatnot; but you are probably not going to be able to run this in 2xDual channel mode because the individual ram ICs on the chips are probably from different manufacturers.

Can you find one more of of the CMZ8 or the CMZ16 kits?

If you find one more of the CMZ16 sticks you could run 2xCMZ8 and 2xCM16 sticks in proper dual channel mode and you would have a lot more luck.

If you could find one more of the CMZ8 modules you could run 2xCMZ8 from kit A, and 2xCMZ8 from kit B in proper dual channel mode and have a lot more luck.
-- [[this is assuming that all 3 of your current CMZ8 sticks are from only 2 different kits, not 3 diffrent kits.]]

If you could find the 3 missing CMZ16 sticks and use 4x4 CMZ16 it would be the best option.

--------
So basically, yes you are screwed until you find some of the missing ram sticks from your kits.

----
PS: NEVER EVER EVER buy sticks of ram that are only part of a kit and expect them to run with either:

A) Other ram that you already have
or
B) Without their partnered ram

EVEN IF THEY ARE THE SAME SERIAL NUMBER

If you are going to buy a ram kit from someone make sure it is the FULL kit; all sticks that came together from the factory.

Good luck mate.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndreesVE
Solution
Mar 12, 2020

From what I understand from your post, you are trying to cram AT LEAST THREE different ram kits together, not two:

The CMZ8 set only comes in 2x4Gb; and you have 3 sticks which means that you have at LEAST 2 kits of CMZ8 that you are mixing:

2 sticks from kit A
1 stick from kit B

Then; you have one stick from a 4x4Gb kit; CMZ16
1 stick from kit C

The chances that even two of the kits above would work together are iffy. When you try to mix 3 different kits; you are probably going to have issues; so yeah mate - this is normal behaviour resultant from attempting to mix at least 3, if not 4 different kits of ram together.

So basically; you might try messing with the settings of the ram if you can; latencies, and whatnot; but you are probably not going to be able to run this in 2xDual channel mode because the individual ram ICs on the chips are probably from different manufacturers.

Can you find one more of of the CMZ8 or the CMZ16 kits?

If you find one more of the CMZ16 sticks you could run 2xCMZ8 and 2xCM16 sticks in proper dual channel mode and you would have a lot more luck.

If you could find one more of the CMZ8 modules you could run 2xCMZ8 from kit A, and 2xCMZ8 from kit B in proper dual channel mode and have a lot more luck.
-- [[this is assuming that all 3 of your current CMZ8 sticks are from only 2 different kits, not 3 diffrent kits.]]

If you could find the 3 missing CMZ16 sticks and use 4x4 CMZ16 it would be the best option.

--------
So basically, yes you are screwed until you find some of the missing ram sticks from your kits.

----
PS: NEVER EVER EVER buy sticks of ram that are only part of a kit and expect them to run with either:

A) Other ram that you already have
or
B) Without their partnered ram

EVEN IF THEY ARE THE SAME SERIAL NUMBER

If you are going to buy a ram kit from someone make sure it is the FULL kit; all sticks that came together from the factory.

Good luck mate.
Thank you so much bro, this is exactly my problem, the reply i wanted, the reply i were waiting for.

Also, i have 3 rams 4gb each one, so it makes 12gb, these works fine but the 4x4 is where i have the issue.

i already know what to do to get this problem solved but if you want, i can upload some ram photos.

Mar 12, 2020
That kind of combination is not guaranteed to be compatible.

Even though you posted a couple memory part numbers, I was unable to discern how many modules your using. You refer to a kit of 4 as one, three kits of 2 as four.

i have 4 ram slots.
i have 4 corsair vengeance 1600mhz rams.

3 of this rams are same serial, 2x4gb ram.
i have bought the 4th ram, same serial except for 16 cause it's a 4x4gb ram kit. right?.

So, these are working right now like:

2 of my "old" rams un dual
thrid ram working alone in 3th ram slot, sadly i have to box a ram cause it wont work with the 4x4 in dual channel.