Question Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 only working at 4800 and not 6000 (yes already tried XMP and doesn't work)

Jul 28, 2023
hello,

I just installed a DDR5 Corsair 16GB x2 on my asus prime Z790A motherboard. It runs fine although it's detected at BIOS only at 4800 mhz and not 6000 mhz.

On asus RAM compatibility checker we have: Corsair CMT32GX5M2X6000C36 and my product id is CMH32GX5M2D6000C36 so it's just one letter difference, RGB colour works fine, system is stable.

Asus website: X mine: D

I tried to enable XMP (not touched anything) and goes to black screen boot, have to go safe mode and disable XMP then works ok again.

any ideas? or i am stuck at 4800? :)

dropped an email to Asus as well.

thanks,
Gabrio

On asus RAM compatibility checker we have: Corsair CMT32GX5M2X6000C36 and my product id is CMH32GX5M2D6000C36 so it's just one letter difference,
And with one letter difference, it would be completely different RAM and all bets would be off, even if there was only one letter difference which is NOT the case here.

The first listed kit starts with CMT while the second one starts with CMH. Then the first kit has 5M2X while the second one has 5M2D. All of these letters and numbers are identifiers that companies like Corsair, G.Skill and Crucial use much like a VIN is used for vehicles and tells them exactly what that kit is. Those kits are completely different products and if the kit you purchased is not on the Corsair memory finder as compatible and is not on the motherboard QVL list as compatible then it's a gigantic question mark as to whether it will work on your board or not.

Sometimes memory kits that are not listed as compatible will work just fine. Sometimes they won't work at all. Sometimes it's something in between, where they will work but have problems or will work but only at the default native speed and not at the faster, tighter XMP configuration.

You need to verify if that model is listed on either site as compatible and if not my recommendation would probably be that you return it and get a kit that is validated for your board by either the board manufacturer or the memory manufacturer. Even two different board models with the same chipset from the same manufacturer might not both have success running the same memory kit. That's the WHOLE REASON that there are compatibility and QVL lists, because it's not a foregone conclusion that just any "compatible" memory kit will work on a given board.

It would also be a very good idea to make certain you have the memory installed in the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth slots to the right of the CPU socket with the fourth slot being the one closest to the edge of the motherboard.

Also, and maybe as or more important than the rest of this, make sure you have the latest stable motherboard BIOS version installed. The vast majority of BIOS updates through the years to now are focused on improvements to memory compatibility improvements and security updates with the occasional "support new CPU" in for good measure.

Reactions: gabrio81
Jul 28, 2023
hello,

Actually i am quite thankful Darkbreeze ! I did what you suggested and swapped RAM bays (previously i had A1 and B1 and now A2 B2 as you suggested) and guess what the XMP mode now worked as a charm, no black screen after enabling XMP and windows recognises the ram boosted @ 6000 mhz and also from the Bios.... so seems to have worked :)

thanks,
Gabrio

You are sure welcome Gabrio. Glad it was the solution you needed. You'd be surprised how often that even somewhat knowledgeable users want to argue that it should work regardless of the population rules, but the fact is, it does not. The population rules found in the user manual for each motherboard, although typically ALL the same for the last ten to fifteen years, should be followed as outlined in the images showing population for single, dual and four DIMM configurations, for consumer boards.