[SOLVED] Could a 2133mhz RAM run at 2666mhz with the same timings of a non OC 2666mhz?

Oct 22, 2021
Basically i have three sticks of ram, 2 sticks with 4GB 2133mhz 14-14-14-35-50 and 1 stick with 8GB 2666mhz 16-18-18-39-61. My high IQ idea is to match the 2133mhz timings and frequencies to the 2666mhz. So in the end it would be 3 sticks with 2666mhz 16-18-18-39-61 (16GB total). My voltage now is 1.2v, so i would put it in 1.35v. Does any of what i wrote here make sense? i really didn't want to change the 2666mhz timings because it's the better ram and i want it to live, but is it better to find a middle ground timings between the two types?

Solution
Problem is, RAM is binned according to what it can handle; it's not like someone sets out to specifically make 2133 MHz or 2666 MHz RAM, they're selected based on results in testing. Now, companies are conservative and RMAs eat up their narrow profit margins if they're too aggressive with binning, so you can frequently overclock even low-end RAM to some extent.

But you'll only know from trying to do so. Complicating things is that you have a FrankenRAM situation; unmatched sticks sometimes simply don't get along in the best of times, which is why it's usually recommended to avoid mixing kits, even of identically branded RAM, as much as is feasible.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Problem is, RAM is binned according to what it can handle; it's not like someone sets out to specifically make 2133 MHz or 2666 MHz RAM, they're selected based on results in testing. Now, companies are conservative and RMAs eat up their narrow profit margins if they're too aggressive with binning, so you can frequently overclock even low-end RAM to some extent.

But you'll only know from trying to do so. Complicating things is that you have a FrankenRAM situation; unmatched sticks sometimes simply don't get along in the best of times, which is why it's usually recommended to avoid mixing kits, even of identically branded RAM, as much as is feasible.

Reactions: gelado1000
Solution
Oct 22, 2021

i see, I will eventually sell the 2x4gb and buy another stick of 8gb 2666, but for now i could really use the extra fps but also wanted to be safe. thanks for answering.

Oct 22, 2021
It a B450 board, you should be running DDR4 3200. A 2x8gb kit is stupid cheap right now.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $57.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-22 09:21 EDT-0400
it is super cheap, but im also super poor since college. And also im not in the US, so 2x8gb 3200 here is about 120usd. But i will eventually upgrade, im well aware of how much better it runs.

Its possible to get 2666 out of a 2133 kit, I have done similar with a 2666mhz kit and got to 3933mhz on my Intel rig but of course I had to loosen timings. The kit I have now on my AMD 5800x rig is a 2666mhz kit and I can not get it more than 2733mhz even with some crazy loose timings.

Every kit is different and RAM is probably one of the most difficult things to overclock, If you play with ram timings and clocks, be prepared to reset the cmos and random blue screens until you figure out its sweet spot.

RAM can also make you think something else is not stable, so I suggest if you do have a CPU overclock or video card overclock, I'd put that all back to defaults and just play with the RAM.

Good Luck!