[SOLVED] Could be playing games, editing etc. and Display turns off, LED from keyboard and mouse goes off, pc stays on

Dylan202

Reputable
May 9, 2019
No idea whats going on. AT ALL.

This has happened before when playing League of Legends, but just recently i was on Photoshop and my PC 'Crashed'.
LED From keyboard and mouse turns OFF.
Monitor has no signal, goes into power saver mode.
PC is STILL RUNNING, CPU and GPU Fans are still running.

2x8GB DDR4 Corsair 3000Mhz RAM
ASUS B450M-K Motherboard
RYZEN 5 2600 CPU
RX 5600 XT GPU
CORSAIR VS 450 PSU

Im suspecting either the PSU or the GPU, i pray to god it isnt the GPU :/
I'd also like to not that my PC would crash too when i updated my GPU drivers. ever since then, rolling back drivers, installing drivers WITHOUT the software included never fixed the problem.

Solution
Fans still running does not tell you anything about the PC itself still running, fans will keep turning as long as they have power even if the motherboard is on fire and the CPU had a shotgun shell through it.

Your PC has self-reset, likely due to a a component's under-voltage/over-voltage protection getting tripped and causing it to pull the reset line and your PC is failing to come out of reset likely because the over/under-voltage condition is persisting.

Your PSU is very likely on its last leg.

InvalidError

Titan
Fans still running does not tell you anything about the PC itself still running, fans will keep turning as long as they have power even if the motherboard is on fire and the CPU had a shotgun shell through it.

Your PC has self-reset, likely due to a a component's under-voltage/over-voltage protection getting tripped and causing it to pull the reset line and your PC is failing to come out of reset likely because the over/under-voltage condition is persisting.

Reactions: Dylan202
Solution

Dylan202

Reputable
May 9, 2019

From what you and the other person is saying, it seems so. My PSU is 2 years old, so i may have to seek a replacement. At the moment im undervolting my GPU to see if it still crashes / crashes less often

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
No idea whats going on. AT ALL.

This has happened before when playing League of Legends, but just recently i was on Photoshop and my PC 'Crashed'.
LED From keyboard and mouse turns OFF.
Monitor has no signal, goes into power saver mode.

2x8GB DDR4 Corsair 3000Mhz RAM
ASUS B450M-K Motherboard
RYZEN 5 2600 CPU
RX 5600 XT GPU
CORSAIR VS 450 PSU

Im suspecting either the PSU or the GPU, i pray to god it isnt the GPU :/
I'd also like to not that my PC would crash too when i updated my GPU drivers. ever since then, rolling back drivers, installing drivers WITHOUT the software included never fixed the problem.

Hello!
I agree with InvalidError, I also think your PSU is at fault. These Corsair PSU's are one of the lowest tiers and are recommended for only iGPU powered systems (check LTT forums), while you are running a whole decent gaming build on it. I also calculated the wattage you need for your parts in a gaming scenario and you are exceeding your 80% from 450W by a few watts.
If you can, get your hands on any other PSU and test before you make any purchase just to be sure it's the PSU. If your GPU was at fault, there would've been some artifacts for sure.

Last edited:

Dylan202

Reputable
May 9, 2019
Hello!
I agree with InvalidError, I also think your PSU is at fault. These Corsair PSU's are one of the lowest tiers and are recommended for only iGPU powered systems (check LLT forums), while you are running a whole decent gaming build on it. I also calculated the wattage you need for your parts in a gaming scenario and you are exceeding your 80% from 450W by a few watts.
If you can, get your hands on any other PSU and test before you make any purchase just to be sure it's the PSU. If your GPU was at fault, there would've been some artifacts for sure.

Hey!

The only way for me to get hands on another PSU is by buying another one unfortunately, unless i can buy one and then take it back lol.

Everything else is relatively new in my PC, so i would assume its the PSU anyways. I think i will buy another one. thank you !

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
Hey!

The only way for me to get hands on another PSU is by buying another one unfortunately, unless i can buy one and then take it back lol.

Everything else is relatively new in my PC, so i would assume its the PSU anyways. I think i will buy another one. thank you !
Glad I helped!
As I mentioned, check that LTT PSU tier list if you need help choosing the best PSU to suit your needs.
Have a good day/night!

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
thank you, ill keep that in mind.

just wanted to update you by saying that mypc hasnt crashed since I undervolted the GPU, does that still hint a psu problem? thanks. (im still buying another psu!)
Undervolting the GPU makes it draw less power from the PSU, so I think it proves that it's PSU insufficiency. I also run a undervolted and a little bit overclocked profile on my RX 570 and it draws up to 110W under full load, rather than the 130-140W it did before.

Dylan202

Reputable
May 9, 2019
Undervolting the GPU makes it draw less power from the PSU, so I think it proves that it's PSU insufficiency. I also run a undervolted and a little bit overclocked profile on my RX 570 and it draws up to 110W under full load, rather than the 130-140W it did before.

ah okay, thats good to know.

was just streaming and the little sh!t crashed on me twice. I dont know if this is relevant, but the first time it crashed i went on a black screen for a couple seconds, came back;
. I normally have Night Light on, this was turned off.
. OBS Suddenly stopped working, had to restart the application.
. My game was still up and running
. AMD Software comes up with a Bug Error thing, saying that a driver crashed and to report the error. i have already done so multiple times. I really wish i had a screenshot of it.

I dont know if this hints that its a driver issue, but i have already repeatedly uninstalled and reinstalled the GPU drivers, installed them without the AMD Software etc, and didnt work.

Then the second crash did unfortunately make me restart my pc, black screen, spotify was still playing and then a buzzing sound .