[SOLVED] Could BIOs be causing memory issues?

Feb 13, 2020
My Build:
MB - Asus Prime X470-Pro
CPU - AMD Ryzen 2600 with Noctua U-12s cooler
GPU - GTX 1070 Ti
RAM -- G SKill TridentX 16 GB (2x8GB @ 3200 mhz)
PSU - EVGA 650 B3 650 W
Case - NZXT 500i Mid Tower

ive been trying to get to the bottom of stuttering issues with my PC for months now, recently clean installed windows and when I did I was getting a memory error when loading applications and anytime I quit an application, it would say the app crashed.

So i reinstalled again and everything seemed to be fine, apps loaded and closed with no errors. after that, I went into my bios, enabled XMP and disabled Global c states. I also plugged in my 240hz monitor (which I have a feeling may be broken but idk). Anyway, after doing this the memory error came back.

you’d think then the issue has to be related to bios settings, the XMP profile or monitor. However, after disconnecting the monitor, disabling the XMP and restoring default bios options the error still occurred.

Something is clearly off, I wasn’t having this issue prior to reinstalling windows either. before nuking windows for a third time, would is make sense to roll back my BIOs version? Asus website says to upgrade the chipset before upgrading bios, while I originally did that when I updated BIOs, when reinstalling windows the chipset wasn’t updated while the bios were (since I nuked everything). Also, when rolling back BIOs is it the same as updating BIOs? I just do it thru a USB.

Solution
XMP is supposed to make things better/easier, but it's possible to be off or wrong. I'd start any memory issues by double checking the timings and settings. Do they 100% perfectly match what you bought when XMP is on? (CL timing, Voltage, MHz speed, etc.) If they do, do they pass memtest? It's possible for new sticks to be bad. Try this and lets see if that helps.

4745454b

Titan
XMP is supposed to make things better/easier, but it's possible to be off or wrong. I'd start any memory issues by double checking the timings and settings. Do they 100% perfectly match what you bought when XMP is on? (CL timing, Voltage, MHz speed, etc.) If they do, do they pass memtest? It's possible for new sticks to be bad. Try this and lets see if that helps.

Solution
Feb 13, 2020

thanks for the response and yes they match up, they worked fine prior to reinstall of windows as well. They also passed windows memory diagnostic test.

does my theory about it somehow being bios make any sense?

also my computer still boots and works for the most part. Also, there was no error until I rebooted and changed three things

1. enabled xmp (disabling did nothing)
  2. other bios setting ( restoring to default did nothing)
  3. plugged in my other monitor that i think there’s an issue with bc NVCP randomly stopped displaying the “ultra hd” resolutions but it wasn’t a big deal bc I would never use them anyway. (Unplugging and uninstalling in device manager did nothing)

so my best guess is 1 of those 3 are the culprit and i can’t see how it would be the monitor but at this point nothing would surprise me

Feb 13, 2020
Hey so I think something just was wrong with my windows usb or something, I redownloaded and reinstalled and no issues. So all good, I think? Haha.

4745454b

Titan
You said it worked fine before you reinstalled windows, so I'm guessing there is a driver you need that you don't have. Or there is a driver that works best if you have XYZ version of it.

I see your new post, keep an eye on things. A bad sector on the driver or install media? Interesting.

Feb 13, 2020
You said it worked fine before you reinstalled windows, so I'm guessing there is a driver you need that you don't have. Or there is a driver that works best if you have XYZ version of it.

I see your new post, keep an eye on things. A bad sector on the driver or install media? Interesting.

Yea man, its been a battle with this PC. Unless my GPU usage is cranked all the way up, I pretty much get consistent frametime spikes no matter what game I play. I got so tired of trying to fix it that I stopped using Afterburner so I couldnt even see frametimes anymore lol. But anyway, I'm away for work for a few weeks so wont be using my PC anyway but will let you know how it runs when Im back. Thanks for the response!