Could Dell Be Next to Leave China?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Wouldn't it be great if you could buy PC's manufactured in the US again? More likely, Dell would go to Japan or Taiwan or the Philippines though, rather than doing the right thing.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]Wouldn't it be great if you could buy PC's manufactured in the US again? More likely, Dell would go to Japan or Taiwan or the Philippines though, rather than doing the right thing.[/citation]
They're considering moving to India.

hennnry

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
It would be great to buy computers made in usa again... except that now, what costs 800 will cost 2000. I know I don't have that kind of money, do you?

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
It's sad to see any company or person siding with China at the moment. I'm behind Google almost 100%, they backed out of an awful environment, most likely loosing money at the time as well. Someone needs to put China in check for their human rights violations and entire regime-like mindset.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]Wouldn't it be great if you could buy PC's manufactured in the US again? More likely, Dell would go to Japan or Taiwan or the Philippines though, rather than doing the right thing.[/citation]

Maybe if people in the USA didn't think they were worth so much more than they are Dell could bring their manufacturing facilities back here and operate them. Too bad that's a pipe dream because workers here would expect to be paid $15+ an hour doing unskilled work in a factory and then they would unionize and drive up costs even further by demanding outrageous benefits for doing their unskilled labor. If Dell leaves they will be heading to India.

I would rather have inexpensive Dell products than ones that had "Made in the USA" stitched on the back in tiny letters.

andrewcutter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
i think it has to do with cost of living since us is a developed country. Ppl need more income to live. Whereas here in india, the cost of living is comparitvly less. The places were factories are setup, it is even less than the cities. So the employees will be happy with less than what is needed in us. As far as unions are considered we have them here also. In fact i think it is there everywhere. Just like we have human rights, workers too need to be protected from exploitation. so legally i tihnk we need a union. the problem is in real world terms either the company has a huge hold that unions becomes voiceless leading to sweat shops or unions become too strong leading to stagnation.... like everything a healthy comprimise between the too is required.

G

Dell doesn't want to be socialized like GM, that's the reason why...

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
What good would bringing $2/hour jobs back to America? China and third world country manufacturers have made us conditioned to low prices. The jobs that have left North America and are not coming back.

They could afford to produce them here in the USA again, if the factory workers didn't demand $20 an hour. The ever demand for higher and higher wages is part of what is driving businesses to other countries.

A word of wisdom to those unemployed: If a company like Dell did come back to the US(though unlikely) to produce computers, accept a reasonable wage. All it does is drive up the cost of products, and drive the company to another country.

[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]What good would bringing $2/hour jobs back to America? China and third world country manufacturers have made us conditioned to low prices. The jobs that have left North America and are not coming back.[/citation]

They will, eventually. The other countries that don't have the expensive benefit programs the US does will eventually get them as their standard of living increases - then the US, which will have already reformed it's policies in the future (I hope, at least) will be a more viable economic option for manufacturing.

G

the 'made in' phrase is not what it used to be, in reality it should read 'assembled in' in this day and age of outsourcing to be competitive many companies rarely ever make their own goods, they assemble them, dell do not make chips or motherboards, heck i be even surprised if they make their own computer cases, they outsource the stuff and then plonk their badges on them, having dell come back to the US wont really create as much jobs as it sounds

xeensd

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]They will, eventually. The other countries that don't have the expensive benefit programs the US does will eventually get them as their standard of living increases - then the US, which will have already reformed it's policies in the future (I hope, at least) will be a more viable economic option for manufacturing.[/citation]

Do you know of an advanced country that has done this in history. The only one I can think of is that almost has done this is Germany. Most other European countries are have limited manufacturing...

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I guess when the company finally moves to India it'll be called newDelli. Just imagine the "Dude your getting a Dell!", with a thick Indian Accent. Pretty soon the Intel tune will be done by a group of men with thick Indian accents.The whole world will be run by India and China in the coming decades.

You ever called any support lines? You don't have to imagine the thick Indian accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.