Question Could do with some advice on upgrading my RAM

MrYossu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Sorry if this is one of those boring questions that the experts hate, but I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy, and get very confused with things like memory upgrades. There are so many options!

I have a custom build PC (full specs here) with 32Gb RAM. I would like to upgrade, either by another 32Gb or 64Gb, depending on cost.

I am a software developer, and don't play games. Don't know if that makes any difference.

Anyone able to advise what would be best for me? Please let me know if there is any more information I need to supply.

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Are you working with this ram kit:
https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
?

If so, first make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard(since you've got updates pending, currently being on F30), then source the same ram kit and you have 64GB of ram. On a side note, did you make sure to enable X.M.P/manually input timings, frequency and voltage in BIOS to get the rams to run at DDR4-3200MHz?

Before you go out and purchase the additional ram kit, what sort of software do you develop?

Sorry if this is one of those boring questions that the experts hate, but I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy, and get very confused with things like memory upgrades. There are so many options!

I have a custom build PC (full specs here) with 32Gb RAM. I would like to upgrade, either by another 32Gb or 64Gb, depending on cost.

I am a software developer, and don't play games. Don't know if that makes any difference.

Anyone able to advise what would be best for me? Please let me know if there is any more information I need to supply.

Thanks
Are you using all the ram you have now?

As mentioned look into bumping the ram up to it's top speed....xmp/docp/bios setting.

MrYossu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Hands up, I have no idea. The machine was built for me by someone who understands hardware a lot better than I do. I gave him my requirements, and he put together a spec based on that.

I just had a look inside the PC, and the RAM looks like th eone you linked, but I don't know if that's reliable enough to answer your question.

If so, first make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard(since you've got updates pending, currently being on F30), then source the same ram kit and you have 64GB of ram.
Never thought of updating the BIOS, good idea.

I can source the same RAM kit (now that I know what it is), but my question was more if that's the best option, or if getting another kit (another manufacturer for instance) might have any advantages.

On a side note, did you make sure to enable X.M.P/manually input timings, frequency and voltage in BIOS to get the rams to run at DDR4-3200MHz?

As I said above, I didn't build the machine, so I have no idea if this was done. Please can you advise how I'd check, and I'll report back.

Before you go out and purchase the additional ram kit, what sort of software do you develop?
Web sites and desktop software. My main workhorse is Microsoft Visual Studio, and it's common for me to have 4 or 5 instances of this open at once. That's why I'd like to upgrade, as the RAM does often get quite full.

Thanks for the reply.

MrYossu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Are you using all the ram you have now?

I regularly use most of it, but keep an eye on it, so if gets too full, I close some applications to prevent it paging. My main reason for wanting to upgrade is so I don't have to do that. I'd like to be able to leave open what I want, and not have to keep an eye on the RAM usage.

As mentioned look into bumping the ram up to it's top speed....xmp/docp/bios setting.

As I said in my reply to Lutfij, I'm not a hardware guy at all, and am not really sure what I'd be doing there. Any advice you can give would be helpful. However, as my main concern is RAM capacity, not speed, my original question still stands. I'm happy to get all the speed I can out of it though!

MrYossu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
If you add another set of what you already have it might work and might not work.
Always safest way is to buy a kit with the amount you need as in one package.

Why do you say that? In all the 25+ years I've been upgrading PCs, I think I've only ever once completely replaced the RAM, and that was because there weren't any spare slots. I've never heard anyone suggest you can't add on to what you've got, and I've never had any problems.

Not saying you're wrong, I'm just surprised.

Ryzen performance is partially dependent on ram speed.
Upgrading to 3600 speed ia about the sweet spot and would be a good idea.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

That is why buying additional ram is not a good idea.

Buy a ram kit of the size and speed you want from the motherboard ram support list for your cpu and motherboard:
Buy an exact part number, do not guess.
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...atisse.pdf?v=c4e9aaa4651d9b2b345e190debda4e98

MrYossu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
@geofelt Thanks for the detailed explanation. Guess I got lucky all these years then? As I said, I'm a software guy, so know little about the intricacies of these things.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but please can you explain what I'm supposed to look at in that linked file. It's a massive list, and I'm really not sure what I would be looking for. I know the size of RAM I want, and you said 3600 would be a good speed, but that still leaves a massive number of options there.

Please can you explain it in simple words! Thanks again.

Sorry, that list was issued at launch and does not have updates to large capacity ram.
I went to the g.skil site and entered 64gb and 3600 speed
along with your motherboard and processor(matisse is for 3000 series)
Here is a list of what is supported. The ripjaws V is likely the cheapest:
https://www.gskill.com/configurator?page=2&cls=1529635169&adSearch2=Capacity§64GB+(16GBx4),Tested_Speed§3600+MT/s,&manufacturer=1524715126&chipset=1562634988&model=1562637486
Other ram vendors will have a similar app.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
@geofelt Thanks for the detailed explanation. Guess I got lucky all these years then? As I said, I'm a software guy, so know little about the intricacies of these things.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but please can you explain what I'm supposed to look at in that linked file. It's a massive list, and I'm really not sure what I would be looking for. I know the size of RAM I want, and you said 3600 would be a good speed, but that still leaves a massive number of options there.

Please can you explain it in simple words! Thanks again.
DDR2 and DDR3 were much more forgiving on adding more memory.
DDR4 on the AMD platform is more picky.

That is why I said it might and might not work.