Question Could faulty PSU be causing different components to fail and crash PC?

Aug 5, 2023
I got my wife a new PC secondhand (Inspiron 5675, I think - some swapped-in components) and it has occasional crashing issues. Once every week or two, it'll crash into a reboot, then crash two or three more times over the next few minutes, but then operate completely fine after that for another week or two.

I've been checking the Event Viewer when I can to see the reason. In the past, the reporter has found the source component to be the CPU ("A fatal hardware error has occurred. Reported by component: Processor core," more info in my previous post here). Last night though, the PC did its classic three crashes, and the Event Viewer reported that "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first," Event ID 41. The BugcheckCode and PowerButtonTimestamp values are all 0, which indicates an extremely abrupt shutdown that could be caused by a faulty PSU.

Before last night, I was under the assumption that the CPU was bad, but now I'm not sure. I find it unlikely that the PSU and CPU are both having unrelated problems. Is it possible the PSU is the only problem, and the previous crashes sourced to the CPU were actually caused by the power supply failing to provide enough power to it?
Specs:
  • Ryzen 7 1700X
  • GTX 1070
  • EVGA 600B PSU
  • Red Skull Summit(?) 16552-1 Mobo
I took a look at the tower and it looks like the underside may not be vented well enough to provide enough airflow to the PSU - I wonder if it's overheating and causing all these problems. Any help appreciated.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Is it possible the PSU is the only problem, and the previous crashes sourced to the CPU were actually caused by the power supply failing to provide enough power to it?
Very much so, since the PSU you have, is low quality, borderline crap.

Here, i suggest that you get a new, good quality PSU. E.g Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RMx/RMi/HX/HXi/AX/AXi.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

For 2nd opinion on your PSU, check the PSU tier list,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

Your EVGA B-series is under Tier D, while what i'm using and also suggesting, is anything from Tier A.

Though, do note that new PSU may not fix your issues, since when your current low quality has damaged the hardware, new PSU won't magically "fix" the damage old PSU caused over time. Only component replacement "fixes" the issue(s). Still, new, good quality PSU is 1st step towards proper hardware. Because after all, PSU is most important component inside the PC since it powers everything.

Aug 5, 2023
Very much so, since the PSU you have, is low quality, borderline crap.

Here, i suggest that you get a new, good quality PSU. E.g Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RMx/RMi/HX/HXi/AX/AXi.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

For 2nd opinion on your PSU, check the PSU tier list,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

Your EVGA B-series is under Tier D, while what i'm using and also suggesting, is anything from Tier A.

Though, do note that new PSU may not fix your issues, since when your current low quality has damaged the hardware, new PSU won't magically "fix" the damage old PSU caused over time. Only component replacement "fixes" the issue(s). Still, new, good quality PSU is 1st step towards proper hardware. Because after all, PSU is most important component inside the PC since it powers everything.
Thanks so much, this is very good info. I'll try to get a higher-tier PSU in there. I appreciate your recommendations as well. Thank you!

Reactions: Aeacus