[SOLVED] could large fluctuation in downloading speed gives corrupted files more likely?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Question as stated in the topic, could large fluctuation in downloading speed gives corrupted files more likely? My home WiFi has a problem, that is when I walk a few steps more away from it the download will not stop, but speed could largely drop and when I walk back, it rises up again quickly. I wouldn't mind this, but I'm thinking if it will give corrupted files more easily from the technology point of view?

Solution
I'm afraid not, sometimes when I download a file through Chrome, it could just stop, and looking like finished or complete, without any error text, but the file is indeed corrupted.
Downloading is a throughput process with a handshake. The client(you) requests the file, and the server sends a copy to the client. Now, from the time of sending the request till the time of completing the request you need a stable connection for the entire thing to process. Any kind of fluctuation in the connection can lead to delay in the completion of the process but cannot corrupt a file unless the file requested is itself corrupted or there is a connection drop. When there is a drop in connection, the file can look complete but its...
Nope. It either downloads or not. Nothing to do with file corruption. If download breaks in the middle and resume later, that might have an outside chance of corruption but then it has to drop connection completely in the middle of the download for that to happen.

Ralston18

Titan
@brannsiu

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

What make and model modem, router, or modem/router are you using?

"Where" are you in relation to the computer, router, etc..

If the speed drops when you walk away does the speed again increase if you go even further away?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Nope. It either downloads or not. Nothing to do with file corruption. If download breaks in the middle and resume later, that might have an outside chance of corruption but then it has to drop connection completely in the middle of the download for that to happen.

Does most download apps/software checks CRC for integrity before completing the download or else it will say it is a bad file

I'm afraid not, sometimes when I download a file through Chrome, it could just stop, and looking like finished or complete, without any error text, but the file is indeed corrupted.
Downloading is a throughput process with a handshake. The client(you) requests the file, and the server sends a copy to the client. Now, from the time of sending the request till the time of completing the request you need a stable connection for the entire thing to process. Any kind of fluctuation in the connection can lead to delay in the completion of the process but cannot corrupt a file unless the file requested is itself corrupted or there is a connection drop. When there is a drop in connection, the file can look complete but its internal hash string is incomplete. It can even resume the download once reconnected, but there is no guarantee that the file integrity is intact.
If you are getting corrupted download files, then there is most probably connection drop and not speed fluctuation. Sometimes connection drops can get concealed in terms of speed fluctuation but it might not be evident by itself. The fact that this happens on wifi is further implying.

Last edited:
Reactions: brannsiu
Solution

TRENDING THREADS