Could my problem be a faulty PSU

jimjamgraphics

Prominent
Jul 13, 2018
Hi.

I'm basically trying to pinpoint a problem with a new build machine. As it is related to a specific work issue I have posted on the software company's forum for anyone interested.

However, to summarise, I am having consistent crashes whilst GPU rendering with a 1080Ti card but not when just using a 1080 card.

Here are my build specs:
-- CPU: i7 8700K 3.7Ghz
-- MB: Asus Prime Z370-A
-- RAM: 4x16Gb DDR4 3000MHz
-- PSU: Corsair RM1000x (1000w)
-- GPU: 1x 1080Ti 1x 1080
-- STORAGE: 1x M.2 SSD, 2x SSD 1xHDD

I thought I had pinpointed the problem to being the 1080Ti card as when I removed it, the crashes stopped. I got a replacement sent to me from EVGA and whilst it appeared to be working fine at first, I am now having the same crashes.

My suspicion is that there might be a fault with the PSU, but other than that I am lost. Any advice or help would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks,
Jamie

jimjamgraphics

Prominent
Jul 13, 2018

Thanks Barty. Sorry, I forgot that it was posted in a private part of the forum. There really isn't much more information on the thread that isn't specific to the software (making sure I have all the right drivers and software version etc). Plus there is a screen grab from GPU-Z that shows that the GPU temp never got higher than 70°C and that the CPU didn't get over 50°C. during the crashes.

I've just read a thread on here that suggests that a faulty GPU could damage a PSU. I do have access to an EVGA 1600W PSU which I was going to test to see if that fixes anything, but then I'm now worried as I don't want to damage it as it doesn't belong to me.

jimjamgraphics

Prominent
Jul 13, 2018

Not overclocked no. The first thing I did when the problems started to occur was to set overclocking back to default.

I'll check the other PSU as soon as I can. If it's not that, do you think it could be a motherboard issue?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Are you hard-crashing/locking up or restarting? Or just crashing to desktop?

Could be a driver issue, which could potentially be resolved by full removing & reinstalling the driver (using DDU in safemode):
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Nothing strikes me outright as being a motherboard issue, but I guess it's possible.

jimjamgraphics

Prominent
Jul 13, 2018
Ah, that's another thing that was in the forum link I originally posted. I performed clean installs using DDU throughout and made sure that the NVidia drivers were up to date and compatible with the rendering software (Octane).

Sometimes it's just a soft crash and goes back to desktop. Other times I've had hard-crashes and a couple of blue-screens.