Question Could my PSU be the reason that my Q9450 was not detected properly?

Hi, when I got my CPU. it showed up as a glitched out processor. Could my PSU be the culprit of it not working? View: https://imgur.com/a/9ruWOvr

My PSU
and the CPU glitch stuff
View: https://imgur.com/a/YHPCubJ

Help
What motherboard are you using? Usually when a cpu has a strange name with weird information like that it means that the BIOS may not have information available for your CPU, so it just finds the closest match. Is it actually running at 2ghz or is it running normally but its reporting at 2ghz?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Cross-validate CPU-Z results with HWinfo64,
link: https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Since what CPU-Z shows, is both inaccurate and missing info. E.g it is unable to detect CPU model and if you truly have Q9450, it's frequency spec must be 2.67 Ghz and not 2.00 Ghz. Also, there are some missing instructions.

Oh, is your CPU-Z running in Administrator mode?

Could my PSU be the culprit of it not working?
Overall, No.

When you can boot to OS, CPU itself is working fine. Though, i've seen instances where hardware (CPU, GPU, SSD etc) doesn't display accurate info and this is to do with fake hardware. It is usually done with GPUs. E.g software says RTX 3080 but in reality, the chip is RTX 3050. CPU faking is more rare, since it's harder to do. And for your chip from 2008, i find it hard to believe that the chip is faked to Q9450 while being Q8200/Q8300 or so.

Reactions: artk2219

LuKaWin10

Great
May 6, 2024
What motherboard are you using? Usually when a cpu has a strange name with weird information like that it means that the BIOS may not have information available for your CPU, so it just finds the closest match. Is it actually running at 2ghz or is it running normally but its reporting at 2ghz?
Mobo: P35-DS3 rev 2.1 EU version. Running at 2.0 GHz or less. I destroyed the CPU too. Put my old one in (E6750) and it works

LuKaWin10

Great
May 6, 2024
Cross-validate CPU-Z results with HWinfo64,
link: https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Since what CPU-Z shows, is both inaccurate and missing info. E.g it is unable to detect CPU model and if you truly have Q9450, it's frequency spec must be 2.67 Ghz and not 2.00 Ghz. Also, there are some missing instructions.

Oh, is your CPU-Z running in Administrator mode?

Overall, No.

When you can boot to OS, CPU itself is working fine. Though, i've seen instances where hardware (CPU, GPU, SSD etc) doesn't display accurate info and this is to do with fake hardware. It is usually done with GPUs. E.g software says RTX 3080 but in reality, the chip is RTX 3050. CPU faking is more rare, since it's harder to do. And for your chip from 2008, i find it hard to believe that the chip is faked to Q9450 while being Q8200/Q8300 or so.
I bought a new one. Ran CPU Z with full Admin perms. I got a Q9550. Hope it works out. Plan on getting a new PSU soon, just to have it and more watts, and I can use it in my future build (Planning on getting an MSI MAG A550BN)

LuKaWin10

Great
May 6, 2024
Did you do a bios update on the motherboard to version F14 before you swapped the CPU? What do you mean you destroyed the cpu?
I did BIOS update 4 times. What I mean by destroying it, well, after it did not work I broke every single capacitor and made a frizbee from the cpu

I did BIOS update 4 times. What I mean by destroying it, well, after it did not work I broke every single capacitor and made a frizbee from the cpu
Lol, fair enough, hopefully the Q9550 works a bit better. You could also look and see if you can pickup a Sandy Bridge, ivy bridge, or haswell based system, it would give you a huge performance uplift for not too much.

LuKaWin10

Great
May 6, 2024
Lol, fair enough, hopefully the Q9550 works a bit better. You could also look and see if you can pickup a Sandy Bridge, ivy bridge, or haswell based system, it would give you a huge performance uplift for not too much.
Yea. But I am planning on building a full amd machine next year for games and school

LuKaWin10

Great
May 6, 2024
And I also think that my PC would not boot up if the PSU did not work/did not deliver enough wattage to certain +xV lines. I think it would try then shut off right? I think it was due to the CPU, saw some pasty glue thing under the IHS and the PCB (in between). I am gonna get the Q9550 soon, also I got 8 Grams of MX-4 paste, and the cooler I got was able to be seated well, but cuz of the big chipset cooler I did a workaround and the mounting points for the cooler were fixed a lil bit by me. But when I seat it I just move it around till the heatsink and pipes fully cover the CPU, if not fully I retry again. So, in conclusion, it is not a faulty PSU, my GT 730 and Q9550 will have balanced wattage, but still, if the PSU is the issue, I could go with the MAG A650BN, which will even future proof for my AMD build (PSU wattage will be enough for future build).