Question I want to buy a computer, I have a question

arnoldhwang

Honorable
May 3, 2018
So I want to buy a computer because i want to learn how to sing by receiving lessons with a singing teacher through the internet, but i don't know if i will need a sound card for that, and if i need one, where inside the computer i will need to place it, and what kind of things inside the computer will be required for the lessons with the singing teacher online, things like that, i was hoping you guys could help me.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Computers these days have onboard sound chips for general audio purposes.

What you probably want though would be a USB DAC, amplifier, and a decent microphone and on their end they would need some decent studio monitors or good headphones to hear your voice properly. You'll likely want a webcam as well.

A lot will depend on your budget. Might be best to start with a basic headset and the onboard computer audio until you know if this online solution will work out.

Your teacher may also have some good advice about what setup to have for a beginner.

arnoldhwang

Honorable
May 3, 2018
will the onboard general sound chip be not as good as for example a sound card in a pci e slot? i don't want to spend a fortune just to learn how to sing with a singing coach online, i'll confirm with the teacher. But here is part of a conversation i had with an employee who works for dell, i found a computer that is like-new on dell i might buy so i asked him questions about it:

( 16m 57s ) Visitor: Thank you. Does the computer have a sound card inside?
( 17m 38s ) Dell Advisor - Pushkar: it comes with a standard one
( 17m 45s ) Dell Advisor - Pushkar: which is there on the motherboard
( 18m 6s ) Dell Advisor - Pushkar: Audio controller

CS8409, CS42L42 (headphone codec)
( 18m 41s ) Dell Advisor - Pushkar: Audio type-Cirrus Logic
Audio controller-CS8409, CS42L42 (headphone codec)

Internal audio interface-High definition audio interface

External audio interface-One global headset (headphone and microphone combo) jack

One Line-out port (rear)
( 18m 52s ) Visitor: Wait, so is the sound card inside a pci e slot? Or just in the mother board?
( 19m 0s ) Dell Advisor - Pushkar: just the Motherboard

what do you think?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the audio chip and the quality of the supporting hardware. Not sure I would trust that Dell picked out anything amazing.

Doesn't appear to be one of the better ones they have.

Surprised Dell still uses Cirrus, been a long time since I have used anything that isn't made by Realtek (Even my Dell laptop has Realtek)

There are really cheap USB DACs out there, sub $20, basically a cheap sound card and some audio input/output. Good DACs start around $100.

TRENDING THREADS