Question Could this be a DDOS attack on me?

jzunconquered

Prominent
Feb 1, 2019
Hey,

So I peeved someone off in a game of League of Legends - they left the game, and then five minutes later my system started experiencing very intense lag. When I was trying to type, it would input several extra characters, and on the punctuation keys would give me the uppercase versions. It got to the point that I couldn't even click on anything and had to restart the computer.

When I restarted it, I also briefly reset the router (only unplugged a few seconds). Within two minutes of being back on the internet, the problem started happening again. I unplugged the modem, fearing I was being hacked, and within seconds it stopped.

Could this be the symptom of a DDOS attack? If so, am I still vulnerable to this person? And what can I do to protect myself in future?

If it doesn't sound like a DDOS attack, was I potentially hacked, and should I be worried that malevolent files were placed on my computer?

Thank you

Just run malwarebytes or something similar whenever you are concerned. The standard microsoft virus prevention stops most stuff and even a lot a malware so as long as that is running you likely are ok.

It is highly unlikely someone could generate enough traffic to kill a machine. You would need a gigabit internet connection to begin with. Unless you have DMZ set your router prevents any traffic from actually getting to your end machine. The NAT function is stupid and unless you tell it where to send traffic anything unknown is just discarded.

Denial of service generally just tries to use up all your internet bandwidth. You would see site times outs and very slow response. It would not affect your typing on the machine. It would let you type in say a web page and then just say it can't reach it or load extremely slow.

The only way to really do this is to buy the DDOS services from some web sites. It tends to be rather expensive especially if your internet is say 100mbps or faster. Nobody can realisticly do a attack from their own house. First they would be stupid because you would see the IP but more important they would kill their own connection before they killed yours. Since upload speed is lower than download they likely would exceed their upload before they could over utilize your download. Guys on google fiber could kill many people but only a idiot would take a chance on getting a ISP banned and not be able to use a great internet connection like that.