[SOLVED] Could TV be as good as monitor for console gaming

name68

Prominent
Jun 20, 2019
Hello, could TV like for example Samsung RU8000 be comparable to monitor when it come to the console gaming ? I have been using ps4 pro with monitor for years. Now i would like a bigger screen. I am not sure if i should choose 32" monitor or this 55" tv Samsung RU8000. It should has 14ms input lag and response time 4ms and also freesync ( may come handy with ps5). Review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ru8000 Buying a tv would be also cheaper for me ( as i can sell the one i already have - my current tv has terrible input lag). What do you think should i choose this tv or 32" screen? thank you

Solution
D
all i use is a TV. Samsung and it's fantastic on all the consoles. I had to turn off all the stupid smooth motion crap and it works great.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Tv manufacturers have been aware of input lag for awhile and have improved this via game mode tv setting turning visual enhancement processing off to reduce frame lag vs peripheral input. How good each tv is hard to say, it's more or less look for reviews or hope for the best. Or maybe take your console in store and test, since it is your money, i couldn't see them being against it.

D

Deleted member 14196

all i use is a TV. Samsung and it's fantastic on all the consoles. I had to turn off all the stupid smooth motion crap and it works great.

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

my son uses his monitor for his consoles, but he even prefers the samsung led television. I have no lag or stuttering whatsoever. Red Dead Redemption 2 looks AMAZING!! plays amazing too as do all our console games on all consoles.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
my son uses his monitor for his consoles, but he even prefers the samsung led television. I have no lag or stuttering whatsoever. Red Dead Redemption 2 looks AMAZING!! plays amazing too as do all our console games on all consoles.

Most tvs nowadays are pretty good with input lag in game mode. How old is your son? Would he understand input lag compared to a wonderful bigger screen? Not saying the Tv he's on would have input lag, but would he tell you if it did or didn't care because of big screen?

D

Deleted member 14196

He's 20 yrs old. I am pretty sure he can tell what input lag is. When he got a larger TV he started using that as monitor for pc and console games, and we had to also turn off some settings in order for it to perform nice.

Reactions: boju

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I just purchased the 55" 8 series Samsung. It's WONDERFUL for gaming...I am using mine on PC. I agree with the above in that make sure you turn off all the Eco mode stuff and all the smoothing, etc. There is a good (couple of) guide(s) on Rtings for how to properly adjust it.

Make sure you set it up and download the updates right away. Out of the box it is not ready for the 120 (frame) modes.

name68

Prominent
Jun 20, 2019
Thank you all for the replies. I will propably go Samsung RU8000 for ps4 gaming. And keep my current 27" monitor for photo editing. As it is also quite complicated to find 32" ips 4k monitor with good color reproduction/ white uniformity that would also have low input lag/response time.