[SOLVED] Could you help me identify my PC's problem?

Apr 14, 2021
Hello,

my PC gets often stuck on switch-on-switch-off-loop before the "enter BIOS" screen can apear, but other times it works without a problem. (So I guess I at least identified that the problem is not my one-year-old PSU?)

Today I switched my PC on and it worked. I could move the mouse at first. However, once I saw the desktop, the cursor disappeared and keyboard didn't work either. And then the PC shut down. And got stuck on the loop again.

This happened for the first time, so I thought maybe this could help identify where the problem lies?

Solution
I'll try it out, although I don't have a spare SSD/HDD. There's still strict lockdown here, so I had to order it online. I'll come back to report how it went in a few days.

Farewell 'till then and thank you for all your help so far. Have a nice day (or night).
While waiting, you can try unplugging the boot drive and see if you can get to BIOS reliably. If it's still stuck on a loop, we can say there's a fault somewhere. Can be unrelated to the system lockup, can be related.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Hello,

my PC gets often stuck on switch-on-switch-off-loop before the "enter BIOS" screen can apear, but other times it works without a problem. (So I guess I at least identified that the problem is not my one-year-old PSU?)

Today I switched my PC on and it worked. I could move the mouse at first. However, once I saw the desktop, the cursor disappeared and keyboard didn't work either. And then the PC shut down. And got stuck on the loop again.

This happened for the first time, so I thought maybe this could help identify where the problem lies?
What's the full list of your system specifications? PSU being the culprit is unlikely, but can't say it's totally in the clear either.

Hello,

Going by the symptoms i'd say that your boot drive has issues, can you try the following:

open your pc remove/disconnect your main boot drive (ssd/hdd)

use another ssd/hdd - install win 10 on the drive

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

make sure it is the only drive attached to your system and boot your system with it

Let us know if it helps and we'll go from there (if yes, replace your original boot drive)

Apr 14, 2021
What's the full list of your system specifications? PSU being the culprit is unlikely, but can't say it's totally in the clear either.
I can't access system information at the moment. Once the computer boots again I'll check it out.

But for now, this is my hardware:
Gigabyte H87M-D3H
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600
Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X
1st COOL Golden Worker 500
Intel i5 (I don't know the rest by heart; it's hidden behind the fan, which I don't know how to remove)
Seagate Desktop SSHD - 1TB

It is quite an old computer.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021
Going by the symptoms i'd say that your boot drive has issues, can you try the following:

open your pc remove/disconnect your main boot drive (ssd/hdd)

use another ssd/hdd - install win 10 on the drive

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

make sure it is the only drive attached to your system and boot your system with it

Let us know if it helps and we'll go from there (if yes, replace your original boot drive)

I'll try it out, although I don't have a spare SSD/HDD. There's still strict lockdown here, so I had to order it online. I'll come back to report how it went in a few days.

Farewell 'till then and thank you for all your help so far. Have a nice day (or night).

Reactions: Quanticriver

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

While waiting, you can try unplugging the boot drive and see if you can get to BIOS reliably. If it's still stuck on a loop, we can say there's a fault somewhere. Can be unrelated to the system lockup, can be related.

Solution
Apr 14, 2021

I could get into BIOS without the SHDD.

However, I got a message that the Main BIOS is corrupted, so it got recovered from the Backup BIOS.

I followed the instructions on screen, did reboot after connecting the SHDD back and it seems to be working for now once again. I'll see if it's permanent, but thank you so much!

Last edited:
Reactions: helper800

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I could get into BIOS without the SHDD.

However, I got a message that the Main BIOS is corrupted, so it got recovered from the Backup BIOS.

I followed the instructions on screen, did reboot after connecting the SHDD back and it seems to be working for now once again. I'll see if it's permanent, but thank you so much!

Fingers crossed then. Happy to help, OP.

Reactions: helper800