amco_krkic

Reputable
May 15, 2020
Hi, few days ago i was cleaning my C drive and deleted some files that i researched to see if they were safe to delete and they all was. But now ive tried playing CS2 and when launching it shows me this screen but freezes on it, i can still hear the game and my cursor moving around and clicking things in game but cant get off this screen :( All my other steam and non steam games work but CS2 just wont, ive tried reinstalling and verifying integrity of game files but none of those worked.
Counter-Strike-2-2024-06-15-23-27.png

It won't launch, because you must have definitely deleted some config or necessary files needed for this game to start properly. Reinstalling sometimes won't help.

You can try starting the game via some command line launch parameters.

But first as a quick solution try deleting this file, "cs2_video.txt", which can be found under the game's installed path, which could be something like, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\(your account)\730\local\cfg\cs2_video.txt".

The installed path/directory might also be different in your case though.

But in any case, all configuration files are stored under the above "cfg" folder. The cs2_video.txt file has the video and other graphic settings.

If the above 'cs2_video.txt' file is there, just delete it, and then start the game again. What is the native "screen resolution"/refresh rate of your Monitor ? Because if deleting doesn't help then you can also EDIT the same file.

Try changing these values. The ones you need to change are "setting.defaultres" to 1920 and "setting.defaultresheight" to 1080, assuming you have a 1080p monitor. If your screen resolution is different, like 2K or 4K, then enter the appropriate values accordingly.

file-missing-settings-v0-45wu83s9lo2d1.png

If the game still doesn't launch, and is stuck on the loading screen, then use some command line launch parameters instead. Open up Steam, go to Library, right click Counter-Strike 2, and click "Properties". Then, click "Set Launch Options..." to open up the launch options window.

launch_options_field_cs2_settings_menu_5523920f1f.png

Try using these one at a time, and then start the game:

-vulkan

(This switches your game's rendering API from DirectX 11 to Vulkan).

-autoconfig

(This launch option will force your game to start up with the default configuration settings for the game, and you can change the settings in the game's menu once the game has started). Restores the config file settings to default.

-w [width] -h [height]

For example, to set your resolution to 1920x1080, you'd use the following launch option: -w 1920 -h 1080

-window (or -windowed, -startwindowed, -sw)

(Launches the game in windowed mode).

-novid

(Will disable the intro video).