Counter-Strike: GO Confirmed Coming in 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alvinyang

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
CS has never been about graphics so comparing it to BF or CoD is just plain wrong.

Counter-strike is a perfect online FPS.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
[citation][nom]hank_paulson[/nom]It's a great time to be an FPS gamer: BF3, MW3, and now CS:GO unbelievable.[/citation]
If you hadn't bothered to MW3 in that list, I'd actually be inclined to agree. DNF finally becoming a reality was a more exciting gaming achievement than any upcoming rehash of CoD will ever be.

Like "dickcheney" above, I too started playing CS during beta 3, when gun-running was still a viable strategy. Those were the days...

G

- this game is not going to replace CS 1.6, or CS:S, it is primary made for consoles, PC version is just kind of a "bonus"
- at the moment, the game looks more like HL2DM
- There is no recoil and there will never be. (because of the consoles)
- the game runs on L4D2 engine
- SourceTV is NOT a priority
- they are working on match making system
- new money system
- no kevlar (this should be fixed in the future)
- maps are simplyfied for XBOX style, less ways, most fights are close range
- Hidden Path (Valve only finances the game) is trying to make all weapons balanced.

From playzone.cz, I'm afraid CSGO is dead before it's even displayed, what a waste of time.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I love all the CS games to death and i am really excited to see what this looks like. I really do hope the engine is a pusher beyond source.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Maybe i played CS after i played other fps games, i never liked it...i found the game on the unrealistic side, has an old graphics engine, no recoil...i dunno, for multiplayer i really like America's Army 2. If you can kick ass on AA2, i think you could pretty much kick ass on anything. At least that's what i've found.

All my friends love CS, if this CS at least looks more modern then i may start playing it...

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Due to the fact that CS 1.6 and source were so huge, I'm betting the sequel will ruin it all. Just seems to regularly happen to good games these days. Sequels just never are that great:/ but I definitely hope for the best! Counterstrike on some crazy high end graphics would be nice.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Why cant they just let CS rest in peace instead of trying to destory its franchise slowly by releasing useless sequels. CS 1.6 will always be superior in gameplay period. I been fragging on CS 1.6 since im 12 and still do to this day at age 23. No other FPS keep me addicted for so long.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Counter-strike within itself is not a big project compared to a completely new franchise. I am sure they will release in 2012. However there is no doubt it will run on the source engine.

This leaves me to believe there are two possible outcome to what this game is aiming for. Either it will be a surprise update to Source bringing better graphics and physics. Or they are planning on making it free or extremely low prices and rely on micro-transactions. Buying outfits and weapons for real money. We already see this in TF2 and it would make sense for Valve to make a free version of CS and so the same.

neo_moco

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I love source zombiemode and especially the zombie hunting servers (by elite) with realoading on , hopefully this will be even better.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]droking[/nom]Why cant they just let CS rest in peace instead of trying to destory its franchise slowly by releasing useless sequels. CS 1.6 will always be superior in gameplay period. I been fragging on CS 1.6 since im 12 and still do to this day at age 23. No other FPS keep me addicted for so long.[/citation]

CSS is superior, I started with CS beta 3 and source was a step forward.

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
[citation][nom]dickcheney[/nom]CSS is superior, I started with CS beta 3 and source was a step forward.[/citation]
To each his own, I feel source is an abomination not worthy of the name Counter Strike that it carries.

neo_moco

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]zooted[/nom]To each his own, I feel source is an abomination not worthy of the name Counter Strike that it carries.[/citation]

That is your opinion but you are one of the few , just check the daily stats on steam and that is enouf to find out how many people love source , the zombiemode , the gungame and a lot of other modes are superb. There are a milion things you can not do with the old cs 1.6 engine that you can with source especially in the mods.

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
[citation][nom]neo_moco[/nom]That is your opinion but you are one of the few , just check the daily stats on steam [/citation]

I don't think his opinion is held by just "a few", considering more than half of the counter-strike population is still on 1.6.

Active players and daily peak:
40,198 51,995 Counter-Strike
39,564 49,640 Counter-Strike: Source

neo_moco

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
why would half of the people play source if it was an "abomination" , 1.6 is used for more pro gaming and the players are just stuck on the game , while source is great fun , a bit different than 1.6 on the shooting feeling but it has it`s one place and it brings a lot of new things to the table , graphics phisics wich makes it a complete game , can`t see how you can make baricades for zombiemode on 1.6 , and the term you used is a big exageration , i`m pretty sure the other half who plays 1.6 doesn`t think about source like that

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]alvinyang[/nom]CS has never been about graphics so comparing it to BF or CoD is just plain wrong. Counter-strike is a perfect online FPS.[/citation]
CS, BF and CoD are three diff concepts of FPS. And if I want to pick three best ever FPS I would put on #1 spot three of them. CS 1.6, BF2 and CoD4.

ChiefTexas_82

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I hope the game will still allow users to make new maps and mods. I loved source in that respect. I was a fan of the break-floor maps at one time. Not to mention all the new maps were FREE.

G

The gameplay mechanics are quite different in 1.6 and source. Long story short 1.6 is a harder game and takes more time to master. 1.6 player base is made up of mostly competitive people whilst source audience is more relaxed and casual.

Example: the recoil pattern of 1.6 is closer to simulation whilst the source recoil pattern is closer to an arcade style game.

Both games are good just depends which level of realism you are after.

Status
Not open for further replies.