Question CPU Air Cooler & PSU ?

madoococa

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
I have an i7-12700KF on an Asus Prime B760-Plus MB & an MSI Ventus 3060 GPU.
Is this cooler enough for that CPU:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Spectrum V3 ARGB CPU Air Cooler

if not what is the minimum cooler I can get?

Also, is the EVGA 700 watts 80+ Standard a good PSU ?

Last edited:
Hyper 212s aren't really a good choice anymore if Thermalright or Deepcool are available where you are. Personally I'd suggest a Thermalright Peerless Assassin or better.

As for power supply it depends on which model you're referring to specifically.

Last edited:
Reactions: madoococa

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thermalright Phantom Spirit for cooler. Similar performance to Deepcool AK620 but cost less. Hopefully your case has intake/exhaust fans.

Psu. What model is that EVGA? Rule of thumb, mostly, if warranty is 7yrs or more then it's decent. 5 yrs is so so and avoid 1 to 3yr units like the plague, especially with a graphics card requiring quite some power.

I have a 13700K and you do need a better cooler but as importantly make sure you are undervolting the CPU as on stock auto settings the motherboard will push a bit too much voltage to your CPU. Not sure on the B series motherboards as I have the Z series but worth checking, bottom like, I would get a better CPU cooler as the 12700K can boost quite high and a good cooler will help.

As boju has mentioned the Thermalright Phantom Spirit or even a cheap and cheerful 240 AIO will make a big difference.

madoococa

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021

madoococa

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
For the cooler, I request an upgrade as all of you recommend that
I will go with the water cooler but I haven't got the model yet

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Old psu and not great. 3yr warranty as well when new. You'll want to replace.

Something from tier A or B 750w. Preferably tier A and 850w if can afford and see yourself upgrading graphics card at some point.

Imo aio is a bad idea. Pumps fail, leaks and corrosion. Games don't heat processors like benchmarks do so air is enough, a decent air cooler is enough, plus they last a lifetime. I wish aio was never a thing, water does not belong inside a computer and it's always an ongoing cost.

FUI here is the temp when I stress cpu within 1 minute
I don't think these temp is accepted
View: https://imgur.com/a/REkKuIC
Yep your 12700K is running HOT....A simple 240mm AIO will do a stellar job, somthing like:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Bv...cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-aqua-elite-240-black-v3

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wx...45-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-frostflow-x-240-snow

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZQ...cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-aqua-elite-360-black-v3

You can spend a lot more but not worth it though even a decent air cooler will do the job. I perasonally like AIO's and have been using them for a long time.

Power supply needs replaced. Period. Even the description on their website talks about it being for basic builds. A gaming pc isn’t a basic pc.

As far as a cheap cooler, look at the Thermalright peerless assassin. It should run about 35 bucks on Amazon but is a great cooler for the money.

"If your cpu never reaches 100c. you are wasting compute power."
A quote from an Intel engineer.

Your temperatures are perfectly fine.
That is how Intel processors are designed to operate.

Changing to a better cooler will give the same temperature profile but with a slightly better performance.
Probably not enough to make such a change worth it.
What is the make/model of your case?
It needs adequate front air intake to feed the cooler as well as cool the motherboard vrm's and the graphics card.

A twin tower cooler replacement will cool slightly better and is the equivalent of a 240 aio without the aio issues.
The Tr peerless 140 or noctua NH-D15s are good examples.

madoococa

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
"If your cpu never reaches 100c. you are wasting compute power."
A quote from an Intel engineer.

Your temperatures are perfectly fine.
That is how Intel processors are designed to operate.

Changing to a better cooler will give the same temperature profile but with a slightly better performance.
Probably not enough to make such a change worth it.
What is the make/model of your case?
It needs adequate front air intake to feed the cooler as well as cool the motherboard vrm's and the graphics card.

A twin tower cooler replacement will cool slightly better and is the equivalent of a 240 aio without the aio issues.
The Tr peerless 140 or noctua NH-D15s are good examples.
pls have a look here the max is 80 degrees with NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO ;)

Not unexpected results but you likely would have gotten the same results with a quality air cooler for a fraction of the price.
Maybe a bit better since air coolers tend only have radiators about the same size as a 240 AIO but that is because your AIO is 280 if you had purchased a 240aio the difference is many times hard to really measure.

Since you have the water cooler you might as well use it now. As stated intel thinks you should let your cpu thermal throttle at 100c.

It appears you are using the default power limits so you are now hitting the power limit rather than the thermal limit. The CPU seems to always hit one or the other you just need to choose.

Set the pl1/pl2 values higher and see how much your number improve. You can also manually adjust the clock multipliers on the p and e cores.

The best numbers tend to be keeping it just under the thermal throttle...more so to get consistent numbers rather than the more random numbers you get when you use the thermal limits to tune.

TRENDING THREADS