Question CPU and CPU cores temps

Aug 6, 2021
Hi i have i7 10700k not overclocked wiht a budget air cooler from antec a400 rgb
With HWM in idle 38 to 45 degrees cel , in load like playing warzone the cpu reaches 72 max in HWM and also using rivatunerstatistics
but the cores all 8 of them always above 72 sometimes 89 88 ?
is it overheating ? should i upgrade for a water cooler or it s because i have only one exhaust fan should i add more on top of the case ?
somthing to notice it s summer now and like 48 degree sometimes in my room , idnt use ic cause i can't stand it

What is your case model?

How many TOTAL fans are installed in the case itself and where, exactly are they installed, and what direction, exactly, is each of them blowing?

Personally, I'd recommend a better CPU cooler. It doesn't have to be an AIO water cooler, but it can be, but not less than a 240mm model. Also, simply getting a BETTER air cooler would likely improve things as well. That cooler is much like the CM Hyper 212 EVO and is a very basic, budget design. I'd recommend going with at least a single finstack 140mm air cooler if your case supports one.

Aug 6, 2021
What is your case model?

How many TOTAL fans are installed in the case itself and where, exactly are they installed, and what direction, exactly, is each of them blowing?

Personally, I'd recommend a better CPU cooler. It doesn't have to be an AIO water cooler, but it can be, but not less than a 240mm model. Also, simply getting a BETTER air cooler would likely improve things as well. That cooler is much like the CM Hyper 212 EVO and is a very basic, budget design. I'd recommend going with at least a single finstack 140mm air cooler if your case supports one.

my case is azza hive 450 airflow case with only 3 fans intake in front but they are kinda cheap and one exhaust in the back 3pin cheap too
it support up to 3 fans 140 in front and 2 140 on top and one 120 in the back .
honestly at this moment there no good air coolers in my local shops so m stuck with either buying expensive aio like coolermaster ml240 mirage or nzxt kraken or adding or replacing and adding in the same time my fans with better quality ones from arctic like the p12 and p14 pwm pst models

So, first thing I'd do then is add another exhaust fan in the top-rear location, the very back top location, to go with the one in the rear location, and see if that helps. If it doesn't then you might want to look at better fans and a cooler.

First thing you might want to do though is simply take off the side panel and run it like that to see if the temperatures drop. If they do, then adding fans is likely to help. If taking off the side panel doesn't change anything, then adding fans is NOT likely to help and you might want to go directly after a liquid cooler.

Aug 6, 2021
So, first thing I'd do then is add another exhaust fan in the top-rear location, the very back top location, to go with the one in the rear location, and see if that helps. If it doesn't then you might want to look at better fans and a cooler.

First thing you might want to do though is simply take off the side panel and run it like that to see if the temperatures drop. If they do, then adding fans is likely to help. If taking off the side panel doesn't change anything, then adding fans is NOT likely to help and you might want to go directly after a liquid cooler.
yeh i already did that i took the glass panel off and they dropped alot like 7 or 10 degrees
and my fans quiet veryy cheap rubbish do u think replacing all of them will be better and bigger ones like 140mm and addi 2 more for exhaust

Aug 6, 2021

I just took off the side panel temps are
Cpu max temps was 73 degrees Celsius
Cpu cores the highest temps are in core 7
79 and all the other 77 degrees it used to be all cores around 85 86 degrees
My room temp is 42 degrees Celsius

Any location that will accept a 140mm fan, I'd put a 140mm, IF a fan is going in that location.

For your case, I'd put two or three 140mm intake fans in front, depending on what it can support, and then put a rear and a top rear fan, 140mm if the location will take it, a 120mm if it won't, which is often the case on the back/rear fan location. And yes, putting better fans will make a difference BUT only if they are ACTUALLY better fans. And by better, I mean higher CFM for exhaust fans (Static pressure is not particularly important for exhaust fans because there is little to no backpressure since the external pressure is generally lower than what is in the case) and higher CFM WITH higher static pressure for the front intake fans. Having a good static pressure rating for intake fans is important, much like it is important for radiator and heatsink fans, because there is usually a fair amount of pressure differential for the intake fans to have to overcome.

The Arctic fans are ok. They are very decent for budget fans. They are not "great" fans though. They don't have particularly exceptional static pressure ratings but they are well good enough for exhaust fans, and depending on if your intake fans are REALLY crappy, they are probably just fine for the intake fans as well. Don't just buy fans you THINK are better though. KNOW they are better by comparing the specifications which can be found on the product pages for those products on the manufacturers website. Look at CFM, RPM and static pressure ratings as well as reading professional reviews on that fan model before purchasing.

Ok, but when you say "max", what does that mean? WHAT were you doing/running when you saw that temperature? Were you running Prime95 with all types of AVX instructions disabled (Or with an offset configured in the BIOS), or some other type of stress test? Or were those temps just running normal programs or games?

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
as a side note a big liquid cooler will perform way better than an air cooler, not just temperature but also performance.

10th gen CPUs might see a cooler temperature with an air cooler but less power consumption (evident from the i9s Intel Core i9-10900K Power Consumption, Turbo Boost, Thermals - Intel Core i9-10900K Review ) I assume it's the same with the i7, you'll see higher temps with a liquid cooler but power (and performance) should be better

Aug 6, 2021
Ok, but when you say "max", what does that mean? WHAT were you doing/running when you saw that temperature? Were you running Prime95 with all types of AVX instructions disabled (Or with an offset configured in the BIOS), or some other type of stress test? Or were those temps just running normal programs or games?
nah i just played warzone for 20mins i think it s cpu heavy game so yeh the max temps in that periode were 79 on a single core the 7th one and all other cores from 72 to 77 and the en general max temp was 72 and with chrome with 3 tabs on the back

Aug 6, 2021
as a side note a big liquid cooler will perform way better than an air cooler, not just temperature but also performance.

10th gen CPUs might see a cooler temperature with an air cooler but less power consumption (evident from the i9s Intel Core i9-10900K Power Consumption, Turbo Boost, Thermals - Intel Core i9-10900K Review ) I assume it's the same with the i7, you'll see higher temps with a liquid cooler but power (and performance) should be better

is the coolermaster ml120r rgb good aio smal with push pull configuration will it keep it cool

CompuTronix

Intel Master
42°C is 107.6°F !!!
Are you sure about that?

The International Standard for "normal" ambient (room) temperature is 22°C or 72°F.

Here's the temperature conversions and a short scale:

SdQWJWK.jpg

If you really are running your rig in a 42°C environment, then you're gaming in an oven at a whopping 20°C above normal ambient!

Hi i have i7 10700k not overclocked wiht a budget air cooler from antec a400 rgb
With HWM in idle 38 to 45 degrees cel , in load like playing warzone the cpu reaches 72 max in HWM and also using rivatunerstatistics
but the cores all 8 of them always above 72 sometimes 89 88 ?
is it overheating ? should i upgrade for a water cooler or it s because i have only one exhaust fan should i add more on top of the case ?
somthing to notice it s summer now and like 48 degree sometimes in my room , idnt use ic cause i can't stand it
Do NOT use Hardware Monitor, as it's known to mislabel sensors, misreport values and offset sensors, and is seldom updated. Instead, use Hardware Info (HWiNFO) which is quite frequently updated and is widely trusted for its accuracy.

Also, please explain the meaning of "idnt use ic cause i can't stand it". Does that mean you didn't use "A/C" (Air Conditioning)? Where do you live that it's "48 degrees sometimes" in your room?

CT :sol:

Aug 6, 2021
42°C is 107.6°F !!!
Are you sure about that?

The International Standard for "normal" ambient (room) temperature is 22°C or 72°F.

Here's the temperature conversions and a short scale:

SdQWJWK.jpg

If you really are running your rig in a 42°C environment, then you're gaming in an oven at a whopping 20°C above normal ambient!

Do NOT use Hardware Monitor, as it's known to mislabel sensors, misreport values and offset sensors, and is seldom updated. Instead, use Hardware Info (HWiNFO) which is quite frequently updated and is widely trusted for its accuracy.

Also, please explain the meaning of "idnt use ic cause i can't stand it". Does that mean you didn't use "A/C" (Air Conditioning)? Where do you live that it's "48 degrees sometimes" in your room?

CT :sol:

Yeh man 40 42 degrees i live in tunisia it s in africa and i dnt turn on the ac in my room cuz it hurts my eyes and give instant headaches and also i have hot system rtx 2070super gaming x trio i7 10700k with crapy case fans outside the Temps reaches 50 52 easy ahahahahah

Aug 6, 2021
I worked on a car two weeks ago here in Colorado, and it was 107°F, and I thought I was LITERALLY going to die before I got the car done. That's crazy hot for outside, but insanely hot for in your dwelling.

well yeh like today it's 46 and windy the problem is the wind is hot too it feels like u are in a air fryer .
anyway there is this cooler from coolermaster pretty good and budget friendly masterliquid ml120r wiht 2 fans for push pull configuration will it help or improve my temps and performance ??

Last edited:
Nope. You don't want anything less than a 240mm AIO cooler or 140mm air cooler for that CPU. With a 120mm AIO cooler, you are looking at about the same performance overall as as a 120mm air cooler, and that is probably just a waste of money for you.

Aug 6, 2021
WATERCOOLING COOLER MASTER ML240P Mirage
Corsair ICUE H100i RGB PRO XT
between this two which one is better m leaning towards coolermaster cuz they are much cheaper and offer solid performance for the buck

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021
Personally, I would take anything made by Corsair over anything made by Fooler master. Well, almost anything anyhow.
Today i was monitoring the temps for example in call of duty warzonemax temps 85 but avreage temps around 70 75
The same in other games like mk11 cpu reachea 81 but avreage 51?
Which one is more important to monitor?
And for aio in some forums there always the possibility of leaking?

So, core temps ARE CPU temps. It's the same thing. The only difference is that "package" temps are generally whatever the hottest core is. Yes, always the "possibility" although they are much better than in years past, but, I prefer air myself. That should not convince you that YOU shouldn't entertain the benefits of an AIO cooler though.

Aug 6, 2021
So, core temps ARE CPU temps. It's the same thing. The only difference is that "package" temps are generally whatever the hottest core is. Yes, always the "possibility" although they are much better than in years past, but, I prefer air myself. That should not convince you that YOU shouldn't entertain the benefits of an AIO cooler though.
Honestly indnt feel good about them idnt know why but i think my room is pretty hot i never notice temps like this in winter so my case doesn't support cooler above 165mm in Hight and all the 140mm i found exceeds 175mm some of them even so expensive like 120 dollars and more m stuck idnt trust water and case doesn't support bigger air coolers u think adding 140mm fans every where will help

Aug 6, 2021
Can you help to choose between this 2 aircoolers i mean do they fit my azza 450 hive case i couldn't tell i ve been searching all day i couldn't tell!!
Cooler master masterair 610p doube 120mm fans but with more copper heat pipes
PHANTEKS TC14PE_BK double 140mm fans and more heat pipes
Could they fit this case and my mb is msi z490 mpg gaming plus
Case again azza hive 450

Both of those coolers are too tall with the fans installed on them for that case. The Phanteks cooler is 170mm with the dual fans installed and the Cooler master cooler is 166mm with the fans installed.

That being said, you MIGHT be able to mount the fans just a little lower on either of them and make them fit but then you might run into RAM clearance issues.

Honestly, I'd avoid the 610p in any case. It is not a very good performer at all. The Phanteks cooler is pretty decent, but I think you will have fitment issues with it.

Aug 6, 2021
Both of those coolers are too tall with the fans installed on them for that case. The Phanteks cooler is 170mm with the dual fans installed and the Cooler master cooler is 166mm with the fans installed.

That being said, you MIGHT be able to mount the fans just a little lower on either of them and make them fit but then you might run into RAM clearance issues.

Honestly, I'd avoid the 610p in any case. It is not a very good performer at all. The Phanteks cooler is pretty decent, but I think you will have fitment issues with it.
Any advice man about one that may fit in my case?
What about this 2 be quite dark rock 4 and deepcool neptwin v2
Or i think i found the best one noctua NH-12A it s 120mm but 7 heatpipes and double heatsink and double fans and of cours noctua fans and for my ram it s t force vulcan z pretty low profile rams in dual channel configuration so the slot just next to the cpu is emty
Can u verify this one for me

Last edited:
Yes, the Noctua NH-U12A, while only a 120mm cooler, is very good.

Below is my list of preferred CPU AIR coolers, also known as Heatsink fans (HSF).

Do not look here for recommendations on water/liquid cooling solutions. There are none to be found.

BEFORE seriously considering ANY cooler, make sure to compare it's height with the maximum CPU cooler height supported by your case. If a cooler won't fit, then there isn't much point in looking at it anyhow unless you are willing to replace the case with a larger, more accomodating model. It should probably go without saying that the recommendations below are NOT intended for systems that incorporate small form factor or mini ITX type enclosures. These are generally for standard ATX tower cases. For recommendations on coolers for very small enclosures, there are many of us around here that can offer some suggestions based on the use case.

A good air cooler works just as well for most applications. There are very few instances I can think of where an AIO will work better than a good air cooler, and even fewer where an AIO will outperform an air cooler if you are willing to buy the right air cooler and then level up by adding some even higher end fans to it.

Loops leak. Heatsinks don't. Pumps fail, FAR more often and usually with far worse consequences, than fans do.

And unlike a heatsink fan assembly, when your pump fails for 99% of AIO coolers, you will be replacing the whole thing, for another 100+ dollars, rather than just a 25 dollar investment for the failure of a fan. Especially since I've rarely seen dual fan coolers have both fans fail at the same time, but even if you factor in two fan failures that's still only about fifty bucks compared to the 100+ it will cost to replace an AIO with a failed pump. And you WILL have a failed pump on most AIO coolers within three years of purchase. Seeing one last longer than five years is possible, but it is not particularly common and we often, very often, see them fail at around the 3 year mark. Sometimes much sooner.

Pump quality and longevity is an area that needs GREAT improvement before AIO coolers will become a primary recommendation for me.

I see a lot of AIO coolers leak and damage hardware as well.

Certainly there are situations where an AIO is called for, or even preferred, but those are MOSTLY aesthetic considerations, because let's face it, a build with an AIO or custom loop generally "looks" a lot cleaner than one that has a big heatsink taking up half the real estate inside your case. When that is the case, I have recommendations for those as well, but I don't offer them unless somebody is specifically asking to go that route.

They are basically listed in order of preference, from top to bottom. To some degree that preference is based on known performance on similarly overclocked configurations, but not entirely. There are likely a couple of units that are placed closer to the top not because they offer purely better performance than another cooler which is below it, but potentially due to a variety of reasons.

One model might be placed higher than another with the same or similar performance, but has quieter or higher quality fans. It may have the same performance but a better warranty. Long term quality may be higher. It may be less expensive in some cases. Maybe it performs slightly worse, but has quieter fans and a better "fan pitch". Some fans with equal decibel levels do not "sound" like they are the same as the specific pitch heard from one fan might be less annoying than another.

In any case, these are not "tiered" and are not a 100% be all, end all ranking. They are simply MY preference when looking at coolers for a build or when making recommendations. Often, which HSF gets chosen depends on what is on this list and fits the budget or is priced right at the time due to a sale or rebate. Hopefully it will help you and you can rest assured that every cooler listed here is a model that to some degree or other is generally a quality unit which is a lot more likely to be worth the money spent on it than on many other models out there that might look to be a similarly worthwhile investment.

Certainly there are a great many other very good coolers out there, but these are models which are usually available to most anybody building a system or looking for a cooler, regardless of what part of the world they might live in. As always, professional reviews are usually an absolutely essential part of the process of finding a cooler so if you are looking at a model not listed here, I would highly recommend looking at at least two or three professional reviews first.

If you cannot find two reviews of any given cooler, it is likely either too new to have been reviewed yet or it sucked, and nobody wanted to buy one in order to review it plus the manufacturer refused to send samples out to the sites that perform reviews because they knew it would likely get bad publicity.

IMO, nobody out there is making better fans, overall, than Noctua, followed pretty closely by Thermalright. So if you intend to match case fans to the same brand on your HSF, those are pretty hard to beat. Of course, Corsair has it's Maglev fans, and those are pretty damn good too, but they tend to be more expensive than what are in my opinion better fans by these other two, so while they are good products they don't have the same noise characteristics and are probably better suited for configurations where sheer brute force is preferred over low noise that still gives good performance. Also, as with most fan models out there, don't look at the specifications for the non-RGB Maglev fan models and think that you'll be getting the same specs on any RGB versions, because you won't. Fans with RGB tend to sacrifice both maximum CFM and static pressure for the right to stuff the RGB electronics under the hood.

Noctua NH-D14 (Replace stock fans with NF-A14 industrialPPC 2000rpm)
Noctua NH-D15/D15 SE-AM4
Noctua NH-D14 (With original fans)
Thermalright Silver arrow IB-E Extreme
Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal
Be Quiet Dark rock Pro 4
Noctua NH-D15s
Thermalright Legrand Macho RT
Phanteks PH-TC14PE (BK,BL, OR or RD)
Deepcool Assassin III
Noctua NH-U12A
Thermalright Macho X2
Thermalright Macho rev. C
Thermalright Macho rev.B
Thermalright ARO-M14G (Ryzen only)
SilentiumPC Fortis 3 HE1425
Thermalright Macho direct
Deepcool Assassin II
Noctua NH-U14S
Thermalright true spirit 140 Direct
Cryorig H5
FSP Windale 6
Scythe Ninja 5
Scythe Mugen max
Scythe Mugen 5 rev.B
BeQuiet dark rock (3 or 4)
Thermalright Macho SBM
Noctua NH-U12S
Arctic freezer 34 eSports Duo
Phanteks PH-TC14S
Phanteks PH-TC12DX (Any)
Cryorig H7
Deepcool Gammaxx 400 and 400 v2 (v2 is a better option with some improvements)

It may not be obvious, but is probably worth mentioning, that not all cooler models will fit all CPU sockets as aftermarket coolers generally require an adapter intended for use with that socket. Some coolers that fit an AMD platform might not fit a later AMD platform, or an Intel platform. Often these coolers come with adapters for multiple types of platforms but be sure to verify that a specific cooler WILL work with your platform before purchasing one and finding out later that it will not.