Question CPU and DRAM Debug LEDs Flashing After New Build with MSI Z490 and Corsair Memory

Jan 1, 2021
Hi there,

I’m hoping for advice that will point me in the right direction for troubleshooting the problem described below. I’ve read other messages about similar issues but have not been able to solve the problem.

I spent the day assembling a new rig based on the MSI Z490 Gaming Plus motherboard and, when I got to the magic moment of powering it up for the first time, I was rewarded with alternating flashing LEDs indicating CPU and DRAM problems. I had installed four Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 gb DIMMs (3.2GHz PC4-25600 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC). The CPU is an Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz processor. The CPU is being cooled with a Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT. It seems to be working fine. Reinstalling the CPU had no effect (everything looked fine and there was no excess thermal paste). I rotated all four DIMMs through the second (DIMMA2) slot, the one appropriate when only one module is being installed. The CPU/DRAM lights continued to flash each time. Of note is the fact that, when I remove all of the memory, the DRAM light is the only one on – it seems like the CPU passed its test when no memory is installed.

I’m really at a loss as to what to try next and am looking for any advice you might have. If the CPU is fine and if each of the memory sticks generates the error, it may be that the memory is not as compatible as I had thought. I thought it might be be useful to try an inexpensive compatible DIMM to aid in diagnosing the problem – if it boots with it, it supports the theory the current DIMMs are incompatible. In addition to my triple-checking each step in the build process, what might you recommend?

Thank you!

Matt

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021
I did a quick search on Crucial.com and did not see that particular memory as being compatible. You could try contacting them to see what they say.
Thanks for the response. The memory that's not working for me is from Corsair. I checked its compatibility initially using pcpartpicker.com but reconfirmed using the MSI motherboard's manual. It should work just fine. Just for fun/research, I swapped in a DDR4 module that should be compatible from one of my other desktops. The problem remained. So, the root cause may not be the memory after all. This is vexing, for sure, but it helps to have people like you out there willing to assist. Thanks, again.

Jan 1, 2021
That gets at the heart of the problem. The computer doesn't boot — it gets as far as the onboard diagnostics — so the only information I have is what's conveyed through the flashing LEDs.

Matt

Jan 1, 2021
My suggestion is to get the motherboard replaced, hopefully it is still under warranty.
I'm definitely going to reach out to MSI for help on this. The motherboard was purchased in early December so, thankfully, there is still time on the warranty. Thanks for your willingness to help! Matt

Jan 1, 2021
Thanks for the question about this. My apologies for not posting the resolution to the issue earlier. My embarrassment about how the problem was fixed may have been a factor. 😊 It turns out that the cause of the issues was a bent pin in the CPU socket. It was a single pin on the margin of the socket and went completely unnoticed until I got a magnifying glass out and inspected it more thoroughly. I made an unsuccessful attempt to straighten it and then went to a costly, but inevitably successful, plan B – another motherboard. I wish I had more advice or alternatives to share and wish you the best as you work on solving the problem on your own motherboard.

Best,

Matt