CPU and GPU Usage at 99%

kcmcgrady

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Is it normal that my CPU and GPU usage fluctuates between 70% - 99%?

In most games I have noticed the CPU usage between 70-99, and as for GPU, some games it's in the 60's and in some its all the way up to 99%. Could this be because of a bottlenecking issue? or is this normal?

i5-3570k@3.4ghz
980 ti
660 W psu

Solution

Well, CPU usage varies during gaming, and some games are more CPU intensive than others. GPU usage will in general be pegged during gaming as it will try to render frames as fast as possible. Think of it like an air conditioner, either it's on, or it's off. Either it's...

kcmcgrady

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Hey thanks for the quick reply! So when I'm idle or just browsing, my usage is very minimum. It's just I read somewhere that cpu usage should be low during gaming too, so it worried me. But looks like I'm good. Btw anyway to find out if I have a bottleneck? Cause I have been crashing in bf4 and have been getting the "kernel" error

is the 980ti new and was another graphics card running in your currently installed Windows?

read cpu temperatures while gaming with real temp

run furmark and post temp. after 10 minutes

is your bios up to date? which version?

up to date gpu and chipset drivers installed?
run 3dmark (firestrike) post the link which appears at the end of it.

kcmcgrady

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

The 980ti is new and i was running the 660ti before that. I ran 3dmark last night and got a score of like 12000 something, ill run it again and post the link. and I will install those program and check the temps.
Another thing that just happened was my display driver keeps crashing but successfully recovers, its been happening a lot lately.

eventually you missed this questions:
" is your bios up to date? which version?"

uninstall nvidia drivers with ddu uninstaller, reboot and install the latest driver from nvidia.com

reset BIOS (clear cmos) eventually you have to rearrange your boot priority after this in BIOS, if windows can´t boot anymore.

which 660W PSU is it exactly? brand and model please

Well, CPU usage varies during gaming, and some games are more CPU intensive than others. GPU usage will in general be pegged during gaming as it will try to render frames as fast as possible. Think of it like an air conditioner, either it's on, or it's off. Either it's cooling air, or it's not. it's very binary in nature. A GPU with a tough game will generally be that way unless you cap the usage with a frame cap (ie: it limits rendering to a preset FPS, if it can render faster, it will slow the GPU down).

CPU on the other hand will definitely bounce around as the GPU does much of the heavy lifting. Now if your CPU was pegged in all games at 95-99%, I'd say you didn't have enough CPU.

As for the crashes, some other posters suggested complete driver removal and re-install from nVidia - this is highly recommended. Remember, when the card manufacturer makes it and packages it's CD rom, that driver is at a moment in time in the past. That driver can be out of date. I usually don't install the driver disk for computer builds. I'll get the OS installed, then manually download to a thumb drive and manually install the drivers for the hardware direct from the hardware makers. This ensures the latest drivers with the latest fixes.

Solution

kcmcgrady

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

hey sorry for the late reply, I reinstalled windows all over again and started drivers installs from scratch. my PSU is 600W (660 was a typo) it is a seasonic SS-600ET ATX12v