Cpu and heatsink/fan detached.

merritt.howardii

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
While assessing my board for upgrade capabilities. I took off my sink/fan to see if my cpu was soldered on. (Prebuilt proprietary mother board)

Thus detaching the thermal paste.

I reassembled everything.

There was paste still on the gpu and the sink.

Is it safe to still run the rig?

Solution
So take something with big percentage of alcohol (clear). Gently using ear buds clean the top of the processor. Thermal paste is not conducting so you should be fine even if it lends on any components on the mono. Apply new thermal paste, I personally use cooler master and apply it in an x pattern.

Safety wise it’s not like the pc will not boot without paste but you will probably notice around 10c in temp change without paste and you basically don’t want to overheat. Wait for a day and order paste from Amazon for example, so that everything is fresh and sealed properly.

Good luck

daigata2

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
So take something with big percentage of alcohol (clear). Gently using ear buds clean the top of the processor. Thermal paste is not conducting so you should be fine even if it lends on any components on the mono. Apply new thermal paste, I personally use cooler master and apply it in an x pattern.

Safety wise it’s not like the pc will not boot without paste but you will probably notice around 10c in temp change without paste and you basically don’t want to overheat. Wait for a day and order paste from Amazon for example, so that everything is fresh and sealed properly.

Good luck

Solution

TRENDING THREADS