Question CPU and Mobo Compatibility

Oct 23, 2019
I just got a I5 9400F and have a Biostar B250GT5. From the what I've seen online they are not compatible (and are not working together from my testing). Is there any chance of making these two work together or am I going to have to buy a whole new Mobo. I remember reading somewhere briefly that some mother boards needed a bios update but I can no longer find that thread.( And am not even sure if it was for my Mobo)

Jul 5, 2019
I just got a I5 9400F and have a Biostar B250GT5. From the what I've seen online they are not compatible (and are not working together from my testing). Is there any chance of making these two work together or am I going to have to buy a whole new Mobo. I remember reading somewhere briefly that some mother boards needed a bios update but I can no longer find that thread.( And am not even sure if it was for my Mobo)
so if your cpu and mobo arent compatible its impossible to make them work, i saw a youtuber mod a xeon cpu to fit in other socket but his result was the damage of the mobo by cutting the edges and parts of the cpu trying to fit it in the mobo so u CLEARLY need to buy a new one

Do not try to mod the cpu or the mobo mecuase it will cause in a higher damage

2 possibilities
or buy cpu with same socket spec
or a new mobo with the required socket for ur i5

logainofhades

Titan
so if your cpu and mobo arent compatible its impossible to make them work, i saw a youtuber mod a xeon cpu to fit in other socket but his result was the damage of the mobo by cutting the edges and parts of the cpu trying to fit it in the mobo so u CLEARLY need to buy a new one

This is not a fitment issue, but a bios/chipset support issue. The sockets are identical, in this case. OP needs a new motherboard, that has the necessary bios support. Some chipset compatible boards, will need a bios update, to run said CPU.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Jul 5, 2019
This is not a fitment issue, but a bios/chipset support issue. The sockets are identical, in this case. OP needs a new motherboard, that has the necessary bios support. Some chipset compatible boards, will need a bios update, to run said CPU.
i was only saying it because most of the mobos and cpus that a person can buy cant be compatible in the socket you know so, whaterver in this case the socket and cpu are identical right then it needs a bios update or install a new BIOS to make the cpu compatible with the mobo

logainofhades

Titan
Socket is the same, but said chipset doesn't support 9th gen, only 6th and 7th gen. Intel pulled another LGA 775 move, and kept the same socket, but required a new chipset to use the new CPU's. You need an Intel 3xx series chipset, to support 8th and 9th gen, despite the socket being exactly the same. Some said 3xx chipsets still won't work, without a bios update.