pro2legendary

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015
So I run a 13700k witha 4070ti and an 850 atx 3.0 psu from corsair, in my room I have a mini fridge that causes the main monitor "benq xr 3501" flickers to black for 0.5 seconds and goes back to normal. let me paint the full picture so that anyone with experience might help me out,

my pc was on the opposite side of the room and the fridge was on the other, I had to move the pc to be on the same side of the room due to some issues with rain. now that I've moved the pc I experience no issues other than the monitor but I fear that the fridge's compressor turning off the monitor might as well be doing something to the pc's current and harming my cpu/gpu and any other components. I downloaded cpu-z to check the voltages on the cpu, they range from 1.345-1.368 ish but dropped once to 1.288 is that normal or is this considered a voltage error with the compressor of the fridge causing it ? and is there any way for me to detect if there was any actual voltage damage to the pc ? my cpu runs at 4.88-5.0 ghz according to windows task manager at idle with normal temps is that normal as well ?

so my actual questions are 1- is the fridge's compressor doing actual harm to my pc in any way ? or will the psu cover the pc parts from harm? the psu is a corsair 850x shift atx 3.0

2-i had a couple of frames drop in the middle of a league of legends game from 240 to like 219 but the frames felt like they were 50 or something it was so weird but had resolved it self in like 2 minutes

I have now disconnected the fridge and the screen no longer flickers and will be making an external line of power from outisde of the room to the fridge alone.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you have difficulty separating the PC and fridge from the same circuit, it would be advisable to consider a good battery backup solution. Otherwise, I think if you can do what is mentioned in your last sentence, you should be good.

pro2legendary

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015
If you have difficulty separating the PC and fridge from the same circuit, it would be advisable to consider a good battery backup solution. Otherwise, I think if you can do what is mentioned in your last sentence, you should be good.
any thoughts on the cpu's voltage drop and wither it was normal or not ?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The only thing that stands out to me is that you mention the CPU running 4.8-5 on idle. What power plan are you using?

Aside from that aspect, these modern chipsets show a lot of variance in voltage under normal operation. I am not really versed in that generation enough to say whether 1.288 is too low.

pro2legendary

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015
The only thing that stands out to me is that you mention the CPU running 4.8-5 on idle. What power plan are you using?

Aside from that aspect, these modern chipsets show a lot of variance in voltage under normal operation. I am not really versed in that generation enough to say whether 1.288 is too low.
I just checked and it shows that its on "balanced" I had the same cpu clocks on my old i7 9700k it was suually around 4.5 even on idle and sometimes when i turn on the pc it would show me that it was 1.7-2ghz max and the fps all around would be just awful. so i figured high clock speeds even on idle is the norm

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
If this was my fridge and I couldn't relocate it to another room on the far side of the building, I'd be tempted to connect a Schaffner EMI filter rated at 10A 250V (or higher) in series with the mains input to the fridge.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/power-line-filters/0239905?gb=b

You need to suppress the interference at source, i.e. filter the fridge, not your computer/monitor. Do not buy a cheap mains power block with so-called "filtering". Most of them are garbage.

When the 'contactor' in the fridge switches on, for a brief instant the compressor chews "holes" out of the mains (engineer slang). The effects of this are visible on your monitor, which could definitely benefit from improved design.

The monitor should have a UL or a CE mark on the back implying conformance with US or European EMC and EMI regs., but I doubt the manufacturer actually tested their design for full compliance. In other words, in an ideal world, the monitor shouldn't be affected by the fridge.

Fitting a bare terminal mains filter is not a job for untrained personnel and there's no guarantee it will work. My suggestion is just a starting point. If you're not a qualified electrical engineer, do NOT try this at home. Instead seek professional advice. Mains voltages are LETHAL. Do not become a victim. You have been warned!

The 400V DC bulk capacitor in your computer's ATX PSU appears to be doing its job and coping with short duration fluctuations in the mains supply caused by the fridge. The same is not true for the monitor's PSU and video input filtering.

Don't worry about "fluctuations" in the voltage applied to the CPU. Vcore changes constantly, possibly tens or hundreds of times per second. You can't see these changes because they're so fast. Just accept they're normal.

Last edited:

pro2legendary

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015
If this was my fridge and I couldn't relocate it to another room on the far side of the building, I'd be tempted to connect a Schaffner EMI filter rated at 10A 250V (or higher) in series with the mains input to the fridge.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/power-line-filters/0239905?gb=b

You need to suppress the interference at source, i.e. filter the fridge, not your computer/monitor. Do not buy a cheap mains power block with so-called "filtering". Most of them are garbage.

When the 'contactor' in the fridge switches on, for a brief instant the compressor chews "holes" out of the mains (engineer slang). The effects of this are visible on your monitor, which could definitely benefit from improved design.

The monitor should have a UL or a CE mark on the back implying conformance with US or European EMC and EMI regs., but I doubt the manufacturer actually tested their design for full compliance. In other words, in an ideal world, the monitor shouldn't be affected by the fridge.

Fitting a bare terminal mains filter is not a job for untrained personnel and there's no guarantee it will work. My suggestion is just a starting point. If you're not a qualified electrical engineer, do NOT try this at home. Instead seek professional advice. Mains voltages are LETHAL. Do not become a victim. You have been warned!

The 400V DC bulk capacitor in your computer's ATX PSU appears to be doing its job and coping with short duration fluctuations in the mains supply caused by the fridge. The same is not true for the monitor's PSU and video input filtering.

Don't worry about "fluctuations" in the voltage applied to the CPU. Vcore changes constantly, possibly tens or hundreds of times per second. You can't see these changes because they're so fast. Just accept they're normal.
would drawing in an external line for power work? as i have another room close by with a different electrical circut than the room i have my setup in so in theory an outer circut would prevent this entire issue correct?

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
When you say the other room is on a different electrical circuit, is it on a different phase (unlikely) or merely on a different circuit breaker.

Is your mains wiring configured as a ring main or separate spurs back to the distribution box?

The further apart the mains feeds to the fridge and the computer system, the better. That's why I suggested moving the fridge to another part of the building.

Increasing distance down line will attenuate the power dips/spikes caused by the fridge, but not completely.

If you can, move the fridge to the far side of the property and on to a different floor. Check to see if there is any improvement, If so, consider making the new location permanent.

TRENDING THREADS