Question Cpu Bent pin Gpu not turning on

Dec 26, 2020
So I bought a new cpu cooler for my pc. My cpu is a ryzen 5 3600 and I used the stock cooler for a while now. When I tried to remove the cooler i pulled on it then the cpu came with it stuck under because of the thermal paster between them. I'm not gonna lie there was a little resistance. I checked for bent pins but there was none. So I just continued to install the new cooler. When I booted the pc up the fans turned on but my graphics card was no longer turning on. I tried removing the gpu and trying to plug the display to the motherboard but there was still no display and would not go to post. I'm scared that all three of my mobo,gpu and cpu are broken.

You have no onboard video, so it won't do anything plugged into the MB. Are you sure you didn't bend a pin or a whole row. It happens. And for future reference, run the processor a bit first so the thermal paste is warmed up before removing the cooler.

Did you unplug power to the gpu by mistake.

Dec 26, 2020
You have no onboard video, so it won't do anything plugged into the MB. Are you sure you didn't bend a pin or a whole row. It happens. And for future reference, run the processor a bit first so the thermal paste is warmed up before removing the cooler.

Did you unplug power to the gpu by mistake.
Correction I'm sorry i found 2 bents pins i returned them back to normal I haven't tested it on another pc yet.

Dec 26, 2020
Correction I'm sorry i found 2 bents pins i returned them back to normal I haven't tested it on another pc yet.
The gpu power was plugged my gpu is a 2070 super. Is there a chance that it could be the motherboard? I never touched the gpu in the whole installation procedure so i don't see how it would break

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
It does not seem like GPU. You need some to test GPU and CPU on a mainboard that you know as working. If both are fine, then it is the mainboard.

It is either the bend pins or the mainboard. I would again check the bend pins.

Dec 26, 2020
If you bent them back, it should be good. I just did this on my 3900x last month. Lol. Booted, nothing, took it off, 4 bent pins, bent them back, booted right up.
I've straightened out the pins replugged everything. The case fans turn on but it won't post and the gpu won't turn on anymore.

Dec 26, 2020
Update my friend tested the gpu and it won't turn on. But he got updates on his pc from geforce and intels updates when he plugged it in. And his pcie is gen 1 but shouldn't 2070 super be backwards compatible

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Update my friend tested the gpu and it won't turn on. But he got updates on his pc from geforce and intels updates when he plugged it in. And his pcie is gen 1 but shouldn't 2070 super be backwards compatible
It won't turn on, and then how did he get the updates?

If a GPU is working when the computer booted (with or without updates) it should show boot screen. Do you have a chance to see if your computer starts with a second-hand cheap GPU? Maybe your friends GPU, but just don't try it with a RTX 3090.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Update: cpu and mobo still work tested with other gpu and ram. I dontt get how my gpu broke from removing the cpu
I am happy that it is just the GPU. It can be static electric, unrelated with the bent pins. Murphy's rule: <Mod Edit> happens. When did you buy the GPU? Its guarantee might still continue, and/or it can be something easy to fix .

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 26, 2020
I am happy that it is just the GPU. It can be static electric, unrelated with the bent pins. Murphy's rule: <Mod Edit> happens. When did you buy the GPU? Its guarantee might still continue, and/or it can be something easy to fix .
6 months ago it has 1 yr warranty i also hope it is east to fix

Last edited by a moderator: