cpu bottlenecking gpu performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmilsom

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2015
hi i have a amd fx 4100 and i am getting a msi r9 390 tomorrow, i know my cpu will bottleneck my gpu but i was wondering how much performance would i gain from my new gpu? if any?

middlemarkal

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
bottleneck, yes, how much ?, imoromenent : going from what card ?

I think it's worth the shot, the r9 390 is a very good card, if while gaming the usage is cpu 100% on the 4 core then get a faster cpu or overclock it with a good heatshink/fan

Edmilsom

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2015
atm my gpu is a amd radeon 6450hd and my cpu is a amd fx 4100, i am getting a new cpu in the future but for a short while i will be useing a msi r9 390 with the fx 4100 and am wondering how much preformance upgrade i will get with just the new gpu on its own

Edmilsom

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2015

atm my gpu is a amd radeon 6450hd and my cpu is a amd fx 4100, i am getting a new cpu in the future but for a short while i will be useing a msi r9 390 with the fx 4100 and am wondering how much preformance upgrade i will get with just the new gpu on its own

Edmilsom

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2015

yes but remember i will be using a rubbish cpu with the r9 390 for a little while so will it not bottleneck it? so i will see less of a differenece in preformance to what i would normally see with the upgrade if i had a decent cpu? what i really want to know is how much preformace would i lose from the r9 390 because i have a bad cpu?

st3v30

Admirable
Yes, you wont get all the performance but still you will see incredible amount of improvement.
More performance will come when you get new CPU but not for all games.
Some of them will maybe stay the same or rly small improvement but most of them should get good boost with new CPU.
We cant say you for sure how much you will lose and how much you will get.
But for now it will be enough to play any modern game in nice FPS.
You can use MSAA in games to tax GPU more and relive some stress from CPU.
Also you can use VSR option from AMD so you can get 1440p resolution on your 1080p monitor.
With that you will mostly eliminate bottleneck of CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.