[SOLVED] CPU cable replacement for PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutfij

Titan
You're better off never using that PSU. it's more of a paperweight. As for your question about the CPU only cable, the pinout for every PSU is not the same, in spite of having the same OEM's.

In a nutshell, protect your investments, get a reliably built PSU with the right cables(in it) intact.

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
In a nutshell, protect your investments, get a reliably built PSU with the right cables(in it) intact.
Well, It's a matter of costs, of course :)
I'll be using it in a retro economy gaming rig, so I see it as a calculated risk? :p

So, any OEM connectors to the PSU is supposed to be the same (?), but might not fit cross model anyway?

Last edited:

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
It seems like a corsair type cpu connector corresponds with the Chieftec CPU contact, regarding the placement of the curved and square connector taps (see pic's).

Can I assume it will work, if the connector fits the contact physically?

s-l1600.png

BDF-1000C-outface.jpg

USAFRet

Titan
Hi!

I have a couple of PSU's on the hand, but they are missing the CPU-cable. Is the cables an connectors standard for all brands, or must I get a specific one?

The PSU's are Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C

Would any ebay CPU-cable do?
No. As stated above, modular cables are NOT universal or interchangeable.

Also as stated above...I wouldn't use that to power a desklamp. Yes, I know budgets, etc. However, can you afford to replace the parts that were cooked by a wrong cable, OR that crappy PSU?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It seems like a corsair type cpu connector corresponds with the Chieftec CPU contact, regarding the placement of the curved and square connector taps (see pic's).

Can I assume it will work, if the connector fits the contact physically?

You absolutely can not, unless you know for a fact that they are compatible from the pinouts, which are not standardized and that means that actual wiring, not the shapes of the connectors. Unless, of course, you really don't like the PC you're connecting it and wish it to no longer be a thing.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Do you know for a

Youa absolutely can not, unless you know for a fact that they are compatible from the pinouts, which are not standardized and that means that actual wiring, not the shapes of the connectors. Unless, of course, you really don't like the PC you're connecting it and wish it to no longer be a thing.

And out of curiosity, how in the world are you in this situation to begin with? To have identical random Chieftec PSUs, with all four CPU cables missing (these come with two) is an extremely odd situation.

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
For the record: I did manage to fix a couple of CPU cabels. I got hold of an original Chieftec cable for a day, and checked the pinning with a multimeter. Then got a couple of Corsair cables and a pin removal tool from Aliexpress. The repinning was quite easy.

One of these PSU's have been running in a quite power hungry retro rig for more than three years now, with no problems, and rather quiet. (FX5950 + RX590 Crossfire). Another is running smoodly in a newer Ryzen rig. I even have a third, soon coming to use. These PSU's seems to have been a bargain... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.