CPU Charts 2012: 86 Processors From AMD And Intel, Tested

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Sometimes I wish you updated legacy CPUs like the Core 2 Duo or even perhaps the Athlon 64 X2 series, just one or two models so that people upgrading can have an idea how much faster the CPU is in relation to their new purchase.

G

Thanks Toms, now i know that i can get double the performance and 3/4 the power consumption going from AMD 955 to a Core i5 3570K.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Great benchmarks.
But i want some processors which were legendary overclockers, and representatives of their generation of CPU's, included with a nominal OC :

intel C2D E7300 : 2.66- > 3.33
Intel C2Q Q6600 : 2.4- > 3.0ghz
Intel i5-750 : 2.66 - >3.33

Its highly likely that a person has owned at least one of these CPU's. I want to know how well these compare to modern processors.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]amdfangirl[/nom]Sometimes I wish you updated legacy CPUs like the Core 2 Duo or even perhaps the Athlon 64 X2 series, just one or two models so that people upgrading can have an idea how much faster the CPU is in relation to their new purchase.[/citation]
I always wish this. Beyond that the AM3 Athlon X2's are still being sold at newegg and the Phenom X2's are not...

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
[citation][nom]amdfangirl[/nom]Sometimes I wish you updated legacy CPUs like the Core 2 Duo or even perhaps the Athlon 64 X2 series, just one or two models so that people upgrading can have an idea how much faster the CPU is in relation to their new purchase.[/citation]

Agreed, maybe just one dual core and one quad? q9550 and e6850? not that I still own both of those or anything...

But let's do some math. Just for a rough order of magnitude I figure an average of 15% increase in performance per clock cycle, per generation (not including clock speed, number of cores, etc.). So if we start back at Conroe and work our way to present day Ivy Bridge, that's 5 new generations of processors. 1.15^5 = 2.01

Which means that an Ivy Bridge CPU at the same speed as a Conroe CPU (2006ish) is about 2x as fast per clock cycle, on average. Once you take into account faster clock speeds, number of cores, cache sizes, integrated memory controllers, etc. and more importantly what software will be used with the CPUs the real world performance difference could be almost nothing to somewhere around 10-15x as fast.

I digress. The point being, is I would like to see some more benchies Tom's! Prove me wrong!

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Yes! Core 2 Duo E6750 CPU owner here.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

Throw in a Pentium 4 as a reminder to those folks who still think they can run BF3 on a 1.8 GHz Willamette.

And as for fun, there should've been a CPU rendering test. Windows 7 has a function that allows a CPU do to DX10 graphics, completely bypassing the GPU. The only obviously issue that CPUs are terrible compared to GPUs when it comes to graphics.

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20081126/direct3d-warp10-to-enable-you-to-play-dx10-crysis-using-software-renderer-only-albeit-slowly/

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]amdfangirl[/nom]Sometimes I wish you updated legacy CPUs like the Core 2 Duo or even perhaps the Athlon 64 X2 series, just one or two models so that people upgrading can have an idea how much faster the CPU is in relation to their new purchase.[/citation]Agreed, 1 Core 2 duo/quad 65nm & Core 2 duo/quad 45nm.

There is no need to bench 2600K/2700K & Core i5-2300/Core i5-2310, just one of the 2 set will do, because we all know their performance is close to identical.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
"Of course, as we all know now, the Piledriver-based Vishera parts are available, and have been since late October. Worry not; we are in the process of running several more processors based on Piledriver through the same suite of benchmarks, and will be updating the charts soon"

Sorry, didn't get to read that :D

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
where is the FX 8320? That would have been a decent cpu to benchmark considering it's right in the thick of mainstream cpus in price and performance. Nevr the less i was surprised by the A10 5800k for a budget cpu it faired pretty well overall. not bad for 120 dollars cpu.

Mckertis

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Throw in a Pentium 4 as a reminder to those folks who still think they can run BF3 on a 1.8 GHz Willamette.[/citation]

BF3 ? No. However, i can tell you, that my 2.4 Northwood machine is still just about enough to watch Youtube in 720p, and with the last AGP cards it is enough to play most anything up to 2009, like, say, Dragon Age.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
For the Charts section I have a suggestion .... please redesign it so that we can choose from 1 up to 4 processors, gpus, hdd, etc. and compare them directly ... and when i say directly i mean Anandtech style, from a drop down menu. I'm sayn this because your version is slow and painfull, you have to look at a huge sheet to find your processor/gpu/hdd and then select different benchmarks ... it takes too many steppes and it's really getting old and annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.