Question CPU clock stuck at 0.8Ghz when playing games

Jan 7, 2022
guys, so i have a 3 yo acer laptop (i5-8250u, 8gb ram, 240gb m.2 ssd, MX130 gpu). it has battery problems, my laptop no longer detects the battery and also I only can use my laptop if the charger is plugged in (it instantly dies when I plugged the charger off) . I'm aware that the only solution is change the battery to a new one, but at this moment I don't have money and have no plan to buy a new battery.

the question I wanna ask is, everytime I tried to play some games, it lags so much even though I've changed the power plan to high performance mode, it doesn't change anything at all. and recently I discovered the problem, whenever my laptop is on idle, the clock speed is 3+Ghz and whenever I playing some video games, it kinda stuck at 0.8Ghz. if it's overheating problem, i just recently cleaned and reapplied my CPU with a new fresh thermal paste.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to replace the battery in the laptop since the last person who didn't change it ended up with a burnt circuitry and minor damage to the chassis(internally). Either a replacement battery or end up with an inoperable laptop.