[SOLVED] CPU Clocks And Usage All Over The Place at Idle

Aug 31, 2019
I just built a brand new pc (parts list will be at bottom) and it ran perfectly for about a month. A week ago I went to launch siege and immediately got a BSOD. The error message was either Kernal security check failure or page fault in nonpaged area. Rebooted and went to bios and tweaked a few minor thing like auto overclock. Not a major overclock just a very minor one ( 2% performance increase) and went back into windows to try to run the game again. When I tried launching the game it gave me another BSOD with one of the two error codes that I mentioned earlier but not the same one as the first BSOD. Rebooted again but now the computer was super slow and my CPU was maxing out at idle and then dropping in usage and maxing again fluctuating rapidly (20-60%). I have done every single trouble shooting step to include running a memory test on both sticks of ram individually and independently, scanning all hard drives for corruption, wipe and fresh install of windows, virus scan, complete driver update on every component, resetting bios by F5 and removing the CMOS battery for an hour, and changing MOBO. I am at my wits end with this and just want to get back to gaming. I have tested ram at every frequency for stability to no change. On a side not all temps are fine and I am currently running case without any side panels for max airflow. Parts list as follows.

Case- NZXT H500i
CPU- Ryzen 5 2600
Ram-V-Color 3200 Mhz 16gb(2x8gb)
GPU- MSI Armour RTX 2070
Storage- Various HDD and SSD with a NVME SSD
PSU-700 watt bronze
MOBO- ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
Fans- CPU- Wraith stealth, Plus 4 NZXT case fans 2x in and 2 Exhaust

Solution
Honestly I think it is most likely an issue caused by the Auto OC function in the BIOS that you used.
But I also would not rule out the fact that every BIOS after version 2202 was designed to be used with a Ryzen 3000 series CPU.
I have the same motherboard and CPU (see my signature for my full specs) and I haven't had any problems with it running my CPU at 4 GHz with a manual OC.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
First off, what BIOS version are you using?
BIOS version 1201 is the best version to use with a Ryzen 5 2600.
My advice is to reset the BIOS to Optimized Default settings then save and reboot.
Then shut down the PC, unplug the PSU, then hold the Power button in for 30 seconds.
Then short the Clear CMOS pins with a screwdriver for 15 to 30 seconds.
Then reboot and see what happens.
If you can get to Windows but it BSOD's or freezes you should do a clean install of Windows.

PS
Do NOT use that Auto OC BS in the BIOS.
If you want to OC your CPU, do the necessary reading and do it manually.

Aug 31, 2019
I am running the most current BIOS version and I just did a fresh install of windows. I reset the bios by removing the CMOS battery for an hour and to my best knowledge that achieves the same effect as shorting the pins. I will try using the older BIOS version but honestly this doesn't seem or feel like a bios problem as all settings have been set to original and I was running on the Current BIOS version just fine up until a week ago when trying to run the game crashed my computer twice.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Honestly I think it is most likely an issue caused by the Auto OC function in the BIOS that you used.
But I also would not rule out the fact that every BIOS after version 2202 was designed to be used with a Ryzen 3000 series CPU.
I have the same motherboard and CPU (see my signature for my full specs) and I haven't had any problems with it running my CPU at 4 GHz with a manual OC.

Solution
Aug 31, 2019
Ok I will have to try and reset to a previous BIOS version and see what happens. The Auto OC function is what I used and the problems seem to have come from that but I thought a BIOS reset by the CMOS Battery was enough to revert any of those changes.