Question CPU Coil Whine?

thedevilofdark

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
I have changed my system to i5 10600K and Z490 Aorus Elite AC from Ryzen 2600 and X570 Rog E. I have coil whine-ish sound and first time I thought that it may be my case fans. After unplugging all of them, the sound didn't go out so I take out the back glass panel. When I listened the back side of the CPU, there is a coil whine-ish sound. I believe it is not PSU-GPU side thing because I have them before and didn't have any problem at all.

So, is it CPU coil whine or MOBO coil whine? How can I understand that? I will upload a video about it soon.

Also, the sound is always there, not on load.

Lutfij

Titan
You can roll a sheet of A4 paper, make into cylinder/cone and hold it against your ear while the other end is pointed towards the PC. Move around the areas you think the sound is coming from. I'd advise on making sure that the noise is coming from the CPU or the PSU or the motherboard's VRM area. In either case, only the motherboard and PSU can be replaced for fear of them being defective but you will also need to understand that the 10th gen processor does draw more power.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? BIOS version for your motherboard?

thedevilofdark

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
You can roll a sheet of A4 paper, make into cylinder/cone and hold it against your ear while the other end is pointed towards the PC. Move around the areas you think the sound is coming from. I'd advise on making sure that the noise is coming from the CPU or the PSU or the motherboard's VRM area. In either case, only the motherboard and PSU can be replaced for fear of them being defective but you will also need to understand that the 10th gen processor does draw more power.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? BIOS version for your motherboard?
Sound comes exactly from backside of the CPU socket of MOBO. I was using it with undervolt so I resetted the bios, no solution. Bios is F20D. PSU is EVGA 750G3. Also sound is too high, I can clearly hear it on desktop. Side panels are closed. PSU is 2 years old.

It's likely just bleed through from the front of the board...the most common components that would whine are going to be the VRM. It may possibly be a cap on the ram or somewhere else but the result is the same...the board will need replacement. You could try reseating the CPU and removing and reconnecting all power cables just to make sure the connections are all solid but it's a long shot.

thedevilofdark

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
It's likely just bleed through from the front of the board...the most common components that would whine are going to be the VRM. It may possibly be a cap on the ram or somewhere else but the result is the same...the board will need replacement. You could try reseating the CPU and removing and reconnecting all power cables just to make sure the connections are all solid but it's a long shot.
So we can say that it is %100 motherboard related, not CPU? I bought them from different countries and from different sellers so I have to send only one of them. And if it is not defected, I have to send CPU again and I have to wait like 1 month. If I don't have online classes I would do but I can't do it.

I will get a new case tomorrow or saturday. I will do the reseating and check the cables before I send it.

Nothing is 100%...it's an assumption based on the info you've provided. It's not impossible I suppose but it is unlikely a CPU would make that noise since coil whine is well, from a coil (usually inductor), and CPUs don't have them.

Again, I would suggest re-seating the CPU and reconnecting all power leads before returing the motherboard since a high resistance connection could cause noise issues.

thedevilofdark

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
Nothing is 100%...it's an assumption based on the info you've provided. It's not impossible I suppose but it is unlikely a CPU would make that noise since coil whine is well, from a coil (usually inductor), and CPUs don't have them.

Again, I would suggest re-seating the CPU and reconnecting all power leads before returing the motherboard since a high resistance connection could cause noise issues.
I didn't know that it doesnt have coils. I thought maybe its internal GPU (not using it) may have it. I will reseating and connect all the cables when the new case arrives, tomorrow I think.

thedevilofdark

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
Update: It is significantly decreased when I changed C-State to disabled. It is still there some level but can't hear the sound unless I get my ears next to the backside of the mobo. I don't know what C-State does but it solved my problem.

Update: It is significantly decreased when I changed C-State to disabled. It is still there some level but can't hear the sound unless I get my ears next to the backside of the mobo. I don't know what C-State does but it solved my problem.

Changing C-states is not recommended...it can lead to serious performance issues including higher than normal cpu temps...basically what you're doing disabling C-states is not letting the cpu rest.

Reactions: Phaaze88

thedevilofdark

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
Changing C-states is not recommended...it can lead to serious performance issues including higher than normal cpu temps...basically what you're doing disabling C-states is not letting the cpu rest.
I just did a test and temps are ok, min 34 max 65 with my cheap cooler. What kind of other issues may I encounter?

thesub3001

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
Does your motherboard have a slot of a speaker that's used to beep in case of errors etc. My i3 10100 had like a little whine/screeching noise under load and it turned out it was because the gpu was touching the speaker inside slightly causing some interference, after removing that speaker from the mobo inside the pc all the screech dissapeared.

Sorgair

Reputable
Mar 1, 2017
I just did a test and temps are ok, min 34 max 65 with my cheap cooler. What kind of other issues may I encounter?
I have the same problem with same mobo (10700k though). I was wondering if disabling c-states was all you did, as when I do, the minimum temp is locked at 60+, which is where the fan curve becomes very steep. I have a separate profile for a 4.8 ghz oc that is stable in all stress testing software, with c-states disabled, and it it has more normal minimum temps of like 35-40 (minimum during casual use). I don't really want to go through every setting to find what exactly is causing stock+c-states disabled to be so much hotter though. On the stock+c-states disabled profile, voltage is lower clocks are lower, everything is lower or the same, yet temps are much higher, so I am pretty confused for my issue.

TRENDING THREADS